Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
The Long Wait: 'Lookout Mountain' (critiques plz)
Hey guys,

this is my newest mix, I am aware that I lost the toms a bit, the cymbals are pretty splashy and the vocal might be a touch loud.
I am hovever quite happy with the low-end on this mix, please let me know what I can improve.

Version 2:
Reduces Vocal Level and adjusted EQ to have more gentle mids,automated snare close mic down during the side stick sections to achieve a more natural sound from the overheads, tweaked kick EQ slightly for better response on small speakers, introduced more snare verb.

Cheers,
Lukas Angel

.mp3    TheLongWait_LookoutMountain_v1.mp3 --  (Download: 12.05 MB)

.mp3    TheLongWait_LookoutMountain_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.05 MB)

I would use old Hootie and the Blowfish as a reference track for this song. The timbre of her voice has similar elements to his, and the arrangement is even a bit similar to “Hold my Hand”. I gave this mix the challenge of listening on iPhone earbuds as well as the iPhone itself, and I think you did a nice job with everything.

Well Done!
-Jim
(01-02-2018, 01:04 PM)LukasL Wrote: Hey guys,

this is my newest mix, I am aware that I lost the toms a bit, the cymbals are pretty splashy and the vocal might be a touch loud.
I am hovever quite happy with the low-end on this mix, please let me know what I can improve.

Cheers,
Lukas Angel

Hey Lukas,

This sounds very good. Nice low end and clarity in general. Here are a couple of areas I think could be improved:
- the sidestick has a real sharp peak that sounds rather strange and abrasive. Maybe multing the snare mic so that you can eq the sidestick portion of the mix separate to the snare would do the trick. If that is not useable, I would consider replacing the organic sidestick with a sample, because the snare sound is good.

- the vocal is quite prominent in the midrange - almost a slightly nasally overtone. It sounds to me like the reverb you have used on the vocal is accentuating this slightly unflattering aspect of the vocal. Try soloing the reverb send and eq'ing it to reduce some of that nasality.

Nice mix!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Hey Lucast

Really nice Mix! I really like where everything sits. Nice tone on the guitars. As far as the stick over, its not bad, but I think a little automation could make it better. The low end kicks nicely. Sounds great in the AKG's

Great Job!

Cheers

KBig Grin
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(01-02-2018, 02:19 PM)jimmyklane Wrote: I would use old Hootie and the Blowfish as a reference track for this song. The timbre of her voice has similar elements to his, and the arrangement is even a bit similar to “Hold my Hand”. I gave this mix the challenge of listening on iPhone earbuds as well as the iPhone itself, and I think you did a nice job with everything.

Well Done!
-Jim

Hey Jim,

thank you for having a listen!

Cheers, LukasAngel

(02-02-2018, 05:00 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Hey Lucast

Really nice Mix! I really like where everything sits. Nice tone on the guitars. As far as the stick over, its not bad, but I think a little automation could make it better. The low end kicks nicely. Sounds great in the AKG's

Great Job!

Cheers

KBig Grin

Thanks for listening will upload the 2nd mix shortly Big Grin
Thank you for listening and commenting.

Have adressed those issues in the 2nd mix and also did somethings I personally wanted to change.

Cheers,
Lukas Angel
(02-02-2018, 06:22 PM)LukasL Wrote: Thank you for listening and commenting.

Have adressed those issues in the 2nd mix and also did somethings I personally wanted to change.

Cheers,
Lukas Angel

Really nice, pulling the vocals back made it much more enjoyable to listen to. Stick over worked, the added snare verb was a nice touch.

awesome!

Cheers

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
add low end to your guitars .boost 100 hz a bit .your kick is soft you hard it.
Hi

Overall, it's a nice sounding mix, you've got. I especially like your balance and the feel in the kick.

Perhaps I miss just a tad more body in the acoustic guitars and the lead vocal. I don't mean anything drastical, we're talking subtleties like maybe 1dB changes here and there.

Keep up the good work and stay healthy Smile
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow