Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actions - Devil's Words hoshi mix
Mhhh, love that song!
Though for the vocals took me quite a while to get a balance between power and clarity while also taking care of the high frequency ringing during some parts was a challange! Still enjoyed it very much. Smile

Cheers, hoshi

edit: outdated, please see post #5

.mp3    Actions - Devil\'s Words - master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.46 MB)

Sounds good! I would prefer more powerful drums at the expence of... well, everything. But still, it sound very good. The effects on guitars work very nicely. ^_^
Thanks for the feedback, kapu Smile
Hi Hoshi

Really nice Mix! The Guitars sound really aggressive .. Nice! The drums sound really good, but I agree with Kapu a couple of db and it will kick, but that's my personal preference. Nicely done on the vocals.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Thanks a lot for the feedback, K! Smile

Listening to the mix with fresh ears, I do aggree that sometimes the drums get lost, especially during the chorus. Since I didn't want to change the overall tone too much but still try weave in the helpful suggestions both of you made, I added a tiny bit saturation and used some small amount of sidechain compression to make the snare punch through the mix more.

Hopefully that worked as inteded Blush

Again, thanks a lot!

Cheers, hoshi

.mp3    Actions - Devil\'s Words - master_rev2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.46 MB)

(02-02-2018, 06:43 PM)HVLTN Wrote: Thanks a lot for the feedback, K! Smile

Listening to the mix with fresh ears, I do aggree that sometimes the drums get lost, especially during the chorus. Since I didn't want to change the overall tone too much but still try weave in the helpful suggestions both of you made, I added a tiny bit saturation and used some small amount of sidechain compression to make the snare punch through the mix more.

Hopefully that worked as inteded Blush

Again, thanks a lot!
Cheers, hoshi

Hey Hoshi

Very subtle but seems to work and that's good, as you said you didn't want to change the color of the song too much, I noticed it cut through better in a few of the fills and from 2:30 to the end, it also brightened the vocals up a tad. I like both mixes! Good Job!! Sounds like you had fun with it!

Happy Mixing

Cheers

KSmile

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Great mix Hoshi, the fix in the drums really helps. My only criticism about it (other than taste decisions) would be that I feel there's a little congestion in the middle, both of the frequency and stereo field. It looks like the reverb is getting in the way of the actual instruments. Could you share your reverb settings for the instruments? Like, how much are you adding to each, if they all go to the same reverb, and if you're processing the reverb in any way?
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Ohhh, that's an interesting remark. Hmm, indeed I never really thought about processing reverb that much, just due to lack of experience.

I do have a room reverb on each of the guitar tracks (left/right) seperately, LPF on the left at 6,4k, since it's a lot more harsh and LPF on the right around 11k. This is a stereo reverb because I wanted to provide some bleed of each side to the other respectively, in order to blend the sound of the guitars. During the intro I keep it pretty dry, having the wet signal set to about 8%, then during the verse move up to 15% and during the chorus even around 30% wet.

On the vocals I have two reverbs, one with room settings (LPF ~13,5k, 8,8% wet) and another one for a more ambient sound (LPF ~8,5k, 12,9% wet), which I normally would think is too much, but to me personally fit the style of the song this time.
Also, my attempt to give the vocals an additional wideness push during the chorus, I added a l/r panned delay, just -17,7 dB compared to the dry signal to make it not too audible.

So as you can see, frequency wise I pretty much left the reverbs as is, apart from the LPF. Maybe that could indeed be a problem, colliding with the actual dry signal?!
I think I should play around with that to sensibilize my ears to that kind of processing.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to analyze so carefully! Smile
(05-02-2018, 01:33 PM)HVLTN Wrote: Thanks a lot for taking the time to analyze so carefully! Smile

No worries, critiquing mixes helps me spotting my own mistakes later Big Grin

Reverb is a tricky thing because it can be dodgy and it depends on how you set it up (If the send is pre or post fader, or even pre-FX if you have the option). If the verb is on an aux track, don't hesitate adding plugins before and after!

Just consider that if you're using several verbs feeding from the vocals, there's a lot of frequencies around the voice area building up, and carving space in the reverb will help it come out more naturally, and leave space for the voice track. The verb unit can also create useless low end rumble, so a HPF is always a good option. You can also compress the signal before it hits the reverb, if it's too dynamic, or don't do it, and let the voice feed the reverb more in the louder parts (instead of making it more wet in the choruses, for example). Your choice.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.