Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amy Helm & The Handsome Strangers: 'Rescue Me
(03-01-2019, 10:14 AM)Deliza Wrote: HPY, Kirk!

Focusing on v2, drums sound pretty much albumlike to me, I couldn't tell it's a live recording. Big wide toms take me out of a song more often than not, but here they sound beautiful. The snare has great presence and the hat and OH's are natural sounding. Reverb works nicely, too!

Kick is loud and too aggressive for the rest of the kit. Actually, I think I prefer the kick-bass combo in v1. Bass sounds articulate in both versions, but it's a little rounder and warmer in v1, glueing better with the tamer kick.

The mandoline playing is just too sloppy, so thou it's remarkable how "isolated" you made it to be (it doesn't sound DI-like and the mic track was pretty useless to me since there was more band than mandoline in), it kinda weakens the tune a little. It works great when it's matching the snare, not so well when it's loose strumming.

I also digged how you used the right side to "tell" the space. There's a 3D quality to it and it shines when the drummer hits the ride.
Hi Deliza
Sorry for the late response, I seem to have missed a few responses in the last month.
Yeah I agree the mandolin is kinda useless and sloppy, but it was there so tried to make it work, unsuccessfully. .lol
Next go round Ill take your advice and get the bass and Kick working better together.
Thanks for the help
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
I like the panning choices you made and how you presented the guitar and mando in that spread. I am hearing some resonance in the bass guitar which masks throughout the song. It is either EQ or reverb or both.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(04-04-2019, 11:46 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: I like the panning choices you made and how you presented the guitar and mando in that spread. I am hearing some resonance in the bass guitar which masks throughout the song. It is either EQ or reverb or both.

Thanks MITC

Yes, I think its both

Ill check that out on the next go round
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.