Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amy Helm & The Handsome Strangers: 'Rescue Me
Fun Mix

Comments Welcome

Cheers

KBig Grin

Mix 2

Listened to it a few days later, needed a few fixes. brought the mandolin back a few db's and knocked some 5k off it. Automated the guitar and eq'ed a bit more. left everything else about the same.
Also fixed sample rate.

New version 2 Below
Cheers
K

.mp3    Rescue Me Fixed.mp3 --  (Download: 9.81 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
This was one of the first mix's I did here, I thought it was time for a remix.

Basically started from scratch. re leveled everything, EQ, Comp, FX's minor automation. EQ and compressor limiter on the master buss
I didn't fix the harmony vocals at the end, but did a bit of tuning, Bold and out front bluegrass type vocals
Squashed the drums a bit but not real hard. Davemcg ..gave me the Idea.
Comments welcome and appreciated

Cheers
KSmile

.mp3    Rescue Me-2nd mix1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.79 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(02-05-2018, 12:10 AM)KMuzic Wrote: This was one of the first mix's I did here, I thought it was time for a remix.

Basically started from scratch. re leveled everything, EQ, Comp, FX's minor automation. EQ and compressor limiter on the master buss
I didn't fix the harmony vocals at the end, but did a bit of tuning, Bold and out front bluegrass type vocals

Cheers
KSmile
No one was more surprised than I was. I was just playing with my toys, swear ta God! It really needs some re-balancing to factor in the Bonham sound.

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
(03-05-2018, 01:44 AM)davemcg61 Wrote:
(02-05-2018, 12:10 AM)KMuzic Wrote: This was one of the first mix's I did here, I thought it was time for a remix.

Cheers
KSmile
No one was more surprised than I was. I was just playing with my toys, swear ta God! It really needs some re-balancing to factor in the Bonham sound.

LOL! I'm going to try that formula on the next Rock mix I do
Thanks Dave

KirkSmile

Nice mixes! The song is awesome. I noticed the guitar/vocal interplay in the verse of the 2nd mix, but both sound great.
Smile
Gamma
(04-06-2018, 07:47 PM)gammasign Wrote: Nice mixes! The song is awesome. I noticed the guitar/vocal interplay in the verse of the 2nd mix, but both sound great.
Smile
Gamma

Thanks Gamma for taking the time to listen and comment, very much appreciated.

Ill have to take a look and check out your mix's

Cheers!
KSmile

After listening to my mix and your mix, I realized that my bass has no mid and upper frequencies. My mix sucks now. lol.

How did you get the bass and guitar to have mid and upper frequencies? EQ?

Talk to you later KMuzic Smile

(08-06-2018, 09:42 PM)gammasign Wrote: After listening to my mix and your mix, I realized that my bass has no mid and upper frequencies. My mix sucks now. lol.

Hey Gamma

Just played with the EQ and compression. I usually solo it and get it where I think it should be, then put it back in the mix and tweak it.

Cheers
K
(09-06-2018, 01:57 AM)KMuzic Wrote:
(08-06-2018, 09:42 PM)gammasign Wrote: After listening to my mix and your mix, I realized that my bass has no mid and upper frequencies. My mix sucks now. lol.

Hey Gamma

Just played with the EQ and compression. I usually solo it and get it where I think it should be, then put it back in the mix and tweak it.

Cheers
K
Try around 1.25K & 2.5K, Gamma; there's the harmonics you want to enhance to taste.
Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
HPY, Kirk!

Focusing on v2, drums sound pretty much albumlike to me, I couldn't tell it's a live recording. Big wide toms take me out of a song more often than not, but here they sound beautiful. The snare has great presence and the hat and OH's are natural sounding. Reverb works nicely, too!

Kick is loud and too aggressive for the rest of the kit. Actually, I think I prefer the kick-bass combo in v1. Bass sounds articulate in both versions, but it's a little rounder and warmer in v1, glueing better with the tamer kick.

The mandoline playing is just too sloppy, so thou it's remarkable how "isolated" you made it to be (it doesn't sound DI-like and the mic track was pretty useless to me since there was more band than mandoline in), it kinda weakens the tune a little. It works great when it's matching the snare, not so well when it's loose strumming.

I also digged how you used the right side to "tell" the space. There's a 3D quality to it and it shines when the drummer hits the ride.