Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For consideration, "I'm Alright" Angels In Amplifiers
This project was deceiving. Its the first time I've seen only four tracks for the drum kit and 1 stereo track for all the percussion, and a mono track for piano. EQ and careful use of compression was primary, and then I added just a touch of delay on only the lead vocals. I was tempted to double the bass drum with samples, but maybe another time. Please let me know your thoughts on this MP3.

.mp3    AngelsInAmplifiers_ImAlright_Mix2_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 6.07 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Hi Dave

Sounds good except the drums have a distant sound, maybe too much reverb and the snare needs to be eq'ed some, sounds boxy, get it a bit brighter. Bass guitar could also use some eq to make it sit better.
Work on the drums and bass and ya got it!

All in all a good job!

Keep Mixin

KSmile.
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(21-01-2018, 06:26 AM)KMuzic Wrote: Hi Dave

Sounds good except the drums have a distant sound, maybe too much reverb and the snare needs to be eq'ed some, sounds boxy, get it a bit brighter. Bass guitar could also use some eq to make it sit better.
Work on the drums and bass and ya got it!

All in all a good job!

Keep Mixin

KSmile.

Workin' on it now. the -6dB cut at 240Hz on the snare is now at -10dB. Btw, there has been absolutely no reverb added anywhere in the mix. There's only a tiny bit of vocal delay to thicken the mono lead vocal.

Thumbnail(s)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Ok. I know when I add too much of the wrong verb on percussion it gets muddy and distant, or if I don't gate the BD, snare and toms it will get lost and distant.

Looking forward to hearing the new mix

Cheers

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
I went back to reference tracks - Santana "Hold On", "Winning" and "Smooth". I gotta say, the Santana tracks have considerably more bass guitar than this mix. Make that an -12dB cut at 240Hz, to get more snap and less "box". Also, I added duplicate bass drum and snare tracks, and panned the electric guitar during lead breaks to center. There are big changes in the drum bus compression too. I think the drum bus compressor was wrong in the first mix. To keep the levels under control in the first pass, the entire mix was about 4db softer, and I had to try and get some of that back at mastering. At the end, I used Native Instruments Solid Bus Compressor when mastering, instead of the stock Logic Platinum Digital compressor (the reason Mix 4 has a Master "B"). It's got a much bigger sound now, nearing the Santana reference tracks.

.mp3    AngelsInAmplifiers_ImAlright_Mix4_MasterB.mp3 --  (Download: 6.08 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Hi Dave I Like mix 4 I also used Santana Smooth as a reference in my latest version listening back needs some more work !
I found comparing to the Santana reference I didn't have to do any eq or compression to any tracks except for vocals and some eq and compression on the master bus.
The drums not sure if it is the room or overheads sound a little wide in the side channels !
Here is a cool free plugin which is great for listening to the side channels on mixes and comparing to reference mixes !
http://www.alexhilton.net/A1AUDIO/index....reocontrol

I have uploaded Smooth and your mix with only the side Channels using this plugin !

Cheers Big Grin

.mp3    Smooth side Channels.mp3 --  (Download: 11.34 MB)

.mp3    AngelsInAmplifiers_ImAlright_Mix4_MasterB-Dave mc61-Side channel.mp3 --  (Download: 6.9 MB)

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

A very useful plug-in! I'll be getting that on all my Macs with Logic installed. Thank you!
Peace,
Dave
Before work this afternoon, I revisited this mix, specifically trying to get the important percussion track moved out of the center to the sides.

Naturally, 1 change led to 2, 3 and 4... (specifically, the bass guitar mids were interfering with the percussion, leading to frequency re-adjustments here and there) and the next thing I know my output is 2.4dB in the red! Blush It was getting back down near 0dB when I had to shutdown and go to work. I'll have something later tonight to post for reviews.
Peace,
Dave
Mix 5 and 6 were okay, but I still wasn't completely satisfied. It took another hour tweaking only the percussion track. Probably a dozen passes of tweaks on just that track and another 6 with the rest of the tracks included. It was worth the effort, IMHO. Suddenly the entire mix got WAY louder. The limiter was set to a 5dB gain increase on mix 4, and now it's lowered to 3db and still considerably louder than the previous attempts. The stereo width is almost diamond shaped. I forced more out to the sides, at 3db, 5dB and 6dB, but although the shape changed, the song seemed disconnected into various parts. Check it out.

.mp3    AngelsInAmplifiers_ImAlright_Mix7_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 6.2 MB)

Peace,
Dave