Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alright - Master Mix - pacollins
First track that I've taken a shot at in the database. It's a really nice tune.

.mp3    Alright-Mix3.mp3 --  (Download: 3.38 MB)

The panning. Was that in the original tracks? I love the panning of the voices through out the song.

I noticed that the build/climb (the section where the bass line plays an ascending line) isn't being maxed out the first and second time. Perhaps some dynamics (mp to ff) using the fader is in order here. <- This is an arrangement idea, not a mix or mastering idea.

Really nice mix. I'm amazed at that panning. Did you spend a lot of time on the panning? Sweet stuff!
(04-06-2018, 08:21 PM)gammasign Wrote: The panning. Was that in the original tracks? I love the panning of the voices through out the song.

I noticed that the build/climb (the section where the bass line plays an ascending line) isn't being maxed out the first and second time. Perhaps some dynamics (mp to ff) using the fader is in order here. <- This is an arrangement idea, not a mix or mastering idea.

Really nice mix. I'm amazed at that panning. Did you spend a lot of time on the panning? Sweet stuff!

Haha. I have a thing for wide stereo soundscapes (actually thinking about re-mixing this as a 5.1 mix), so I'm glad it didn't come across as too much.

The only vocal track that utilized stereo width originally was the chorus backing track and then I used an expander to emphasize it and give some more clarity to the main vocal center. As for my time panning, it was rather simple. The I have Main Vocal at 0, Main Harmony at 20%L, 2nd Verse Backing at 80%R and 100%R, 3rd Verse Backing at 80%L and 100%L. All of the vocal panning is static.

I'll look into that baseline - I haven't done any automation with it because this bass has an odd sound that I can't decide if I want to blend more or keep it present - especially since the arrangement is then on the verses.

Thanks for the feedback!
Hi there.
  • For me, some of the panning is okay but most of it is too much. On pads and synths some pan sweeps can sound very nice but I’m always irked when percussion (such as shakers et. al.) starts to move.
  • The expanded backing vocals get totally destroyed when you listen to the track in mono.
  • Also, the panning of the backing vocals is weird for me. I totally get the width thing but I’m not a friend of vocals that don’t sit in or near the center.
  • The reverb on the vocals seems to be a bit excessive, some parts are hard to understand because of it.
  • And there is some percussion (the claves?) that is a lot more present than is necessary (I believe).
Keep it up!
Most mixes done in Reaper or Bitwig on a MacBook Pro using Sony MDR-7506 headphones and some hifi system with old Saba speakers in a small-ish untreated room. If I commented on your mix, please check the board for my mix and reciprocate. :) Thank you!