Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storm Of Particles 'Of Ice And Hopeless Fate' MikeGoPro Rough Mix 3
Here's a rough mix of this song.

Its an intense song, I tried to give the different sections the right amount of power.

I'll go over it again but first I have to let my ears rest, and listen to a few references, since I haven't tried mixing for this genre, so its a good challenge for me.

Cheers!

Update 1/30/18

Here's an experimental revision, the last one I pushed pretty hard, so I backed off of the bus levels going into the master. Used VU meters on the busses to keep an eye on their levels, so I didn't just turn things up more and more, instead I tried to get a decent balance.

Using channel strips on the inserts, and some clippers on some kick and snare.

I didn't use any references so its just an attempt to get a sound that's listenable without being harsh or muddy.

The drums were trouble I think I should have chopped them up, or used drum replacement samples, but I did chop the bleed from the toms, but I could pay more attention to them.

Cheers!

I just added another version, its probably over the top, but I wanted to try to give the Vox more clarity, while keeping the punch in the drums, and the edginess of the guitars.

Later!

.mp3    StormOfParticles_OfIceAndHopelessFate MikeGoPro Rough Mix 3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.22 MB)

.mp3    StormOfParticles_OfIceAndHopelessFate MikeGoPro Experimental Revision.mp3 --  (Download: 9.22 MB)

.mp3    StormOfParticles_OfIceAndHopelessFate MikeGoPro Over The Top Version.mp3 --  (Download: 9.22 MB)

(12-01-2018, 07:01 PM)MikeGoPro Wrote: Here's a rough mix of this song. [...]

Sounds ok in general. Perhaps ease the soft clip/dist/sat on the master and rework the snare sound? Nice full sound though. ^_^
(12-01-2018, 07:18 PM)kapu Wrote:
(12-01-2018, 07:01 PM)MikeGoPro Wrote: Here's a rough mix of this song. [...]

Sounds ok in general. Perhaps ease the soft clip/dist/sat on the master and rework the snare sound? Nice full sound though. ^_^

Yeah that snare is not right, and the bass guitar has some weird distortion going on. I'll clean it up, and figure that snare soon.

Thanks for the insight, Cheers!
(12-01-2018, 11:59 PM)MikeGoPro Wrote: Yeah that snare is not right, and the bass guitar has some weird distortion going on. I'll clean it up, and figure that snare soon.

Thanks for the insight, Cheers!

The bass track has some clipping in it, especially on some louder hits midway through the song.
It sounds like onboard preamp saturation, or possibly the batteries dying, and not having enough juice to maintain linearity.
Almost everything's said.
Be gentle on compressing/limiting your master.

For the bass line, prefer a clean to a "crappy" clipsaturated one like that. You absolutely needs a bass cabinet IR when you use saturation on a DI bass

Acoustic guitar tone is rly nice.
Just one thing is bothering me : Too much delay for my hears ^^

Have a look at Extremophile's topic. Many interresting tips are in it.
Sound Engineer @ MegamocheProd
Working on Cubase 9.5 Pro
Gear : Yamaha HS-7 // Sennheiser HD-25 // BeyerDynamics MMX-300 // Steinberg UR22 MKII

The bass track has some clipping in it, especially on some louder hits midway through the song.
It sounds like onboard preamp saturation, or possibly the batteries dying, and not having enough juice to maintain linearity.
[/quote]

Yeah I hear it. I'm going to rework it, I think my automation (pre fader) triggered the overly distorted parts.

thanks for commenting.

(13-01-2018, 02:46 AM)jugx Wrote: Almost everything's said.
Be gentle on compressing/limiting your master.

For the bass line, prefer a clean to a "crappy" clipsaturated one like that. You absolutely needs a bass cabinet IR when you use saturation on a DI bass

Acoustic guitar tone is rly nice.
Just one thing is bothering me : Too much delay for my hears ^^

Have a look at Extremophile's topic. Many interresting tips are in it.

Yeah I noticed that its just completely off the mark, but It shouldn't be a problem getting it right.

I'm going to give it some fine tuning and make it sit right in the mix, thanks for the pointers.

Edit: oops, uploaded the wrong file, the right one is being uploaded, the last one had the wrong plugs activated. Testing different plugs, you know how it goes.

Hey guys I just added a more polished revision. At least I think it's more polished, could be just as rough as the first to be honest, since I didn't use any references.

But I decided to get it out there and get some responses.

Did any of you use drum samples for the drums? They were full of bleed. And what about the guitars did you reamp them or use the amped version?

Later!
(30-01-2018, 07:40 PM)MikeGoPro Wrote: Edit: oops, uploaded the wrong file, the right one is being uploaded, the last one had the wrong plugs activated. Testing different plugs, you know how it goes.

Hey guys I just added a more polished revision. At least I think it's more polished, could be just as rough as the first to be honest, since I didn't use any references.

Did any of you use drum samples for the drums? They were full of bleed. And what about the guitars did you reamp them or use the amped version?

Later!

Hey Mike

Listened to both mix's on my monitors. The new version was much cleaner, on the laid back parts it sounds really nice, very clean, on the louder heavy sections, it seems like the bass frequencies start muddying up the low and low midrange, I think the bass is fighting with the lower guitar frequencies. Maybe just cutting the low end of the bass or guitars will clean it up.. This sounds like a tough project from what you were saying...I think I'm gonna pass on this one for a while..Confused

Keep up the good Mad Scientist work

Later

KBig Grin

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(31-01-2018, 01:21 AM)KMuzic Wrote:
(30-01-2018, 07:40 PM)MikeGoPro Wrote: Edit: oops, uploaded the wrong file, the right one is being uploaded, the last one had the wrong plugs activated. Testing different plugs, you know how it goes.

Later!

Hey Mike

Listened to both mix's on my monitors. The new version was much cleaner, on the laid back parts it sounds really nice, very clean, on the louder heavy sections, it seems like the bass frequencies start muddying up the low and low midrange, I think the bass is fighting with the lower guitar frequencies. Maybe just cutting the low end of the bass or guitars will clean it up.. This sounds like a tough project from what you were saying...I think I'm gonna pass on this one for a while..Confused

Keep up the good Mad Scientist work

Later

KBig Grin

Hey KMuzic,

Yeah this one made me try some things, but ultimately I'm not satisfied with my mix, I probably should check the phase of some of those channels, because even though it's not a lot of tracks it just never gelled for me. I think your right about the bass fighting with the guitars. Maybe at a later time I'll try some automation or sidechaining, but for now I'm going to let it be. But when I do revisit it, I'm going to try drum replacements, and reamping the DIs from the guitars.

Later!