Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Chudziak 'Children Of No-one' MikeGoPro Quick Mix
I just have to start by saying, this song rocks! I had to try my hand at it, and do a quick mix to see what I would come up with.

The thing about songs like this is, they are so well done they practically mix themselves.

I often find myself wondering what should I do, for songs like this and its more likely than not that less is definitely more.

Some bus processing with tape

some compression on the peaks of the electric inserts

combined with some classic guitar spatial fx(echo/delay/chorus ,etc.)

a little gating on a few of the drum tracks

a little distortion on the kick

some automation on the vocals

some effects on the BGVs and Lead DT

and a general reverb to gel the elements

and basically that's it

I didn't do any timing or tuning, and there's some fine tuning and overall housekeeping that needs to be done. So I wouldn't say its done but I think its a decent start.

Cheers!

Experimental mix in post#2

.mp3    Bill Chudziak \'Children Of No-one\' MikeGoPro Quick Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.85 MB)

(12-01-2018, 01:56 AM)MikeGoPro Wrote: I just have to start by saying, this song rocks! I had to try my hand at it, and do a quick mix to see what I would come up with.

The thing about songs like this is, they are so well done they practically mix themselves.

I often find myself wondering what should I do, for songs like this and its more likely than not that less is definitely more.

Some bus processing with tape

some compression on the peaks of the electric inserts

combined with some classic guitar spatial fx(echo/delay/chorus ,etc.)

a little gating on a few of the drum tracks

a little distortion on the kick

some automation on the vocals

some effects on the BGVs and Lead DT

and a general reverb to gel the elements

and basically that's it

I didn't do any timing or tuning, and there's some fine tuning and overall housekeeping that needs to be done. So I wouldn't say its done but I think its a decent start.

Cheers!

Well, you know me and my experiments. I just can't get enough of them, I'm like some mad audio scientist. Big GrinTongue.

What can I say, I like to make discoveries that are new to me, though they might be known to almost everyone else. So keep that in mind this is a W.I.P.

Cheers for Beers!

.mp3    BillChudziak MikeGoPro Experiment WIP.mp3 --  (Download: 8.85 MB)

The Mad Audio Scientist at work!!..The intro is killer and i really like the vocals. did you double track the lead vocal and delay one? sounds good.
One thing I noticed in the headphones was the lead guitar kinda got lost...other than that I like the experiments.!!Smile

Cheers

K

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(29-01-2018, 06:33 AM)KMuzic Wrote: The Mad Audio Scientist at work!!..The intro is killer and i really like the vocals. did you double track the lead vocal and delay one? sounds good.
One thing I noticed in the headphones was the lead guitar kinda got lost...other than that I like the experiments.!!Smile

Cheers

K

What's up KMuzic

Yeah that Lead Guitar disappears most definitely, I must have gotten carried away with my science experiment. Tongue I'll definitely bring up front on an update.

On the Lead Vocals I used a ping pong delay tucked underneath, and on the Lead double take its a chorus to make it feel more like several takes, and on the backing vocals I also used a chorus for some extra voices so to speak, and that's about it besides a reverb.

Hey Mike
Real nice technique on the vocals, I think I might try that on the one I'm working on now.

Back to work!..lol

Cheers!

KBig Grin
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
I like where you are taking this Mike. Sounding Good. I'm wondering if it's worth throwing the toms out wide in the mix to add to the larger than life overall sound.

Dave
(30-01-2018, 12:40 PM)Dangerous Wrote: I like where you are taking this Mike. Sounding Good. I'm wondering if it's worth throwing the toms out wide in the mix to add to the larger than life overall sound.

Dave

Hey Dangerous,

I must have let your post slip through the cracks. Thanks for having a listen and taking the time to comment. I think the toms could use some special attention, once I get some free time hopefully sometime next week, I'll update the file.

Cheers!