Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Of Ice And Hopeless Fate" DuraMorte Mix
Hi all, first time posting a mix here. Hope it's up to snuff! Smile

For this mix, I limited myself to only using Reaper plugins on the audio tracks, and no resampling or re-amping. All the tracks are the originals, and there has been no sample replacement or supplementing. (I did use a commercial plugin on the master out... but that's the only one. Smile )

I mastered to about -14LUFS, so you may need to crank it up a little louder than you're used to.

I think that about sums it up. Fire away!

Edit: After a few listens on some other sources, I noticed a consistent trend of loud LF. I pulled it back some, and also fixed the errors in the bass line during the guitar solo by copy/pasting and pitch-shifting bad notes to the correct ones.

Edit 2: Upon further consideration, I elected to do a "no-holds-barred" mix, to see if I could achieve a substantial improvement over the original tracks with samples and re-amping. I leave it to the listener to decide if I succeeded.

.mp3    Of Ice and Hopeless Fate DuraMorte mix.mp3 --  (Download: 9.02 MB)

.mp3    Of Ice and Hopeless Fate DuraMorte mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.02 MB)

.mp3    Of Ice and Hopeless Fate DuraMorte mix NHB.mp3 --  (Download: 9 MB)

Well, I've to say that to be done with the stock plugins it's pretty good Big Grin , althought i dont use reaper and dunno with ones or how good they are but...

The main issue that i hear is ur kick drum, it's has too much low end, below 90hz probably, and doesnt have punch or body, just bottom and click...Try working the 100-130hz zone....Right now it's too loud but just the lows, and seems too me that makes some compressor work a bit funky ^,^ hehe...The snare is what it is...so not much cant be said, but sounds tiny, too high...Also try giving some air to the overheads and lower them a bit...they are a bit overwhelming now. Work with a reverb + room track to give same ambience and make the whole drums fit better in the mix...not too much or it'll be muddy.

Overall i like the tone of your guitars, to my taste could be a bit brighter...not so much the electric ones but definetly the acoustic ones.

In general i found that most of the mixes are a quite "dark" sounding, with excesive low end and low mid...Ur's isnt definetly one of the worst at that but try working that after u have finished ur mix.
The stock Reaper plugs are very good, but they have no "mojo" or "tone"; they are pure, clean sound sculpting. For that reason, it can be tougher to get a mix to really "gel" with them, than with nicer, more "analog"-style plugins.

I'll have to go listen to my mix again, to see if I hear what you're describing re: kick/snare. I like a trebly, snappy snare for this style of music, as it leaves plenty of room for other instruments without clouding up the low mids, but it is easily possible to overdo it.

Thanks for your comments; I will investigate them. Smile