Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kings And Queens
First mix in a couple of months. Hopefully my ears haven't got too rusty.
This is another great track to work with. Loved the electric guitar/Rhodes relationship and play off. The instro outro could have gone for another 5mins I reckon. Just seems to get going before the final fade.
For me the biggest issues working with this song was with harshness that seemed present in a lot of the tracks. It was a shame with the clipping of the vocal part at times. A nice performance otherwise.
Listening to the mix around the house it maybe a bit bass heavy, but I have tried to keep the mix a little weighted in this regard.

Thanks for listening and feel free to comment. This multitrack seems to be really good for mix diversity. There is a lot of variety in the mixes posted already , which is great to see, I mean hear. Wink

Dave

22/01/2018 Mix #2 added based on valued comments received to date.

28/01/2018 Mix #3 Removed Bass track from Reverb Send (face palm) and further tonal refinements.

.mp3    thelvnguage_KingsAndQueens_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.84 MB)

.mp3    thelvnguage_KingsAndQueens_Dangerous#2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.78 MB)

.mp3    thelvnguage_KingsAndQueens_Dangerous#3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.85 MB)

Hi Dave happy new year by the way, ok I have a bit of time spare, I like your mix but one thing that sticks out is the vocal sibilance A(needs d-essing) and intro guitar one right cans sounds a little harsh, thanks for sharing your mix.
Sounds very good already. Balances feel fine. Instrument sounds as such (soloed) are probably just ok, and also vox. (Except that sibilance issue which was taken up by Cudjoe)

Although separations are pretty good already, I still think you could work a bit more how instruments blend together, or stick out. For example some small boosts to chosen areas, give each instrument a sound area where they can rule, and cuts somewhere else where they step to other’s areas.
Hi Dangerous,
Nice Work as usually Smile.
Bass sound very nice, other instruments also has a nice and pleasant tone. I feel drums(Kick for sure) asks to be a bit more stronger in general Smile.
Regards
Martin
(10-01-2018, 05:21 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Dave happy new year by the way, ok I have a bit of time spare, I like your mix but one thing that sticks out is the vocal sibilance A(needs d-essing) and intro guitar one right cans sounds a little harsh, thanks for sharing your mix.

Thanks Cudjoe, Happy New Year to you and yours. I'll see if I can address the vocal sibs with the next mix. Some d-essing for sure.

Cheers.

(10-01-2018, 09:22 PM)Olli H Wrote: Sounds very good already. Balances feel fine. Instrument sounds as such (soloed) are probably just ok, and also vox. (Except that sibilance issue which was taken up by Cudjoe)

Although separations are pretty good already, I still think you could work a bit more how instruments blend together, or stick out. For example some small boosts to chosen areas, give each instrument a sound area where they can rule, and cuts somewhere else where they step to other’s areas.

Thanks Olli, I'm not sure how you managed it, but I'm struggling with the harshness, especially when I try to boost things. Tucking the guitar down was all I could manage and as for the Rhodes, maybe I need to try and pull some more sonic voicing from this. Distortion perhaps.
I found this quite a tough mix to work with. Making the arrangement work around the vocal was quite challenging. Lots of competing frequencies

(11-01-2018, 12:17 PM)Lethan Wrote: Hi Dangerous,
Nice Work as usually Smile.
Bass sound very nice, other instruments also has a nice and pleasant tone. I feel drums(Kick for sure) asks to be a bit more stronger in general Smile.
Regards
Martin

Happy New Year Martin.

Thanks for the listen, I will look into some more oomph for the drums with take 2. Thanks for your sharing your thoughts.
Hey, vocals are sounding great. I'm hearing an overall boxiness, probably mainly the drums?
(19-01-2018, 07:22 AM)Audiomuze Wrote: Hey, vocals are sounding great. I'm hearing an overall boxiness, probably mainly the drums?

Thanks Audiomuse. iistening with fresh ears, I think I can agree with this. I'll try and sort it out with my second attempt.

Cheers
Hello good people.Smile
I have uploaded mix#2 which is hopefully an improvement on the first. I have reworked the mix based pretty much on the feedback I have received. The sibilance issues with the vocal I have refined as per Cudjoe's comments. I have also worked over the sonic relationship with the instruments, aiming for a little more clarity and purpose generally. Thanks Olli. This is an area you are very good at. Now the drums basically got a rebalance and as per Lethan's thoughts hopefully the kick pokes though a little more and I've given the snare some extra energy especially through the softer passages. Finally I've rebalanced the mix tonally, cleaning up some of that sub 500Hz congestion and boxiness as Audiomuse touched on.

Thanks for the help guys.Big Grin