Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
thelvnguage: 'Kings And Queens'
Hey, I'm glad you did a 3rd mix, sounds good. I liked your low end in the first mix, despite the boxiness, and missed the fulness in the bass and snare in the 2nd mix. I really like the clarity you have in the lead vocal. May I suggest that you explore a similar 'clarity' in the instruments as well? A lot of what I'm hearing (generally across everyone's mixes) is 'dull', just lacking top end. Nice work Smile
Very interesting feedback, will work on that. Thanks a lot!! Smile
I think I figured it out. Sorry for my last comment because I misspoke. I pulled your song into my DAW and checked it out a little bit and I think the problem was that your guitars have too much sub 400 range compared to everything else in your mix, making everything else feel comparatively weak down there. A simple highpass with like maybe 8 to 12 db per octave (something like that) will clean that right up. Also in this last rendition, your vox also has a bit too much down there as well, and you could probably control it with a multiband compressor. I have a feeling that that will fix most of the problems, I hope. Fingers crossed.

(Also, you shouldn't really worry about the mix being too dull or too bright. As long as the individual elements fit with each other, a mix can be fixed with a simple EQ at the master)
Thank you very much for analyzing my mix so carefully, leumou!!

Alright, so I just rolled off the low end growl of the guitars, tried to stabilize the vocal in the low range and tried to sprinkle some overall clarity sparsely. I had to be veeery careful not to boost the harsh frequencies or drain away the warmth of the song again, like in mix #2 Blush

.mp3    thelvnguage - Kings And Queens - master_rev3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.81 MB)

(20-01-2018, 04:15 PM)HVLTN Wrote: Thank you very much [...]

Sounds good! Very neutral and polite sound. Maybe the vocals get slightly lost sometimes, and could perhaps be more 'in-your-face'? Not that there's any frequency masking or anything wrong, but you've set the levels so carefully even that for me nothing pops out as the lead element. Still, a very good mix indeed, and I like the way you've used the reverbs to add some spatiality in a stylish manner. Top quality! ^_^
Much better. Just some general polish here and there but it sounds like you have most of the big work done. Good job.