Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
thelvnguage: 'Kings And Queens'
Hello everyone,

a bit late to the party, automating the bass took me quite a while and wrapping my mind around the sudden end of the song Angel

Just rediscovered this awesome site, gonna stay here longer this time Blush
Thanks so much for this opportunity!

Cheers,
hoshi

edit: outdated, please see post #14

.mp3    thelvnguage - Kings And Queens - master.mp3 --  (Download: 6.52 MB)

urgh, noticed some serious low end trouble with my budget headphones at work today, will keep them at home from now on for low end checks.
here is the new version, fixing (hopefully) the low end of snare as well as the bass guitar and some ringing at 250 Hz on the guitars. Blush

.mp3    thelvnguage - Kings And Queens - master.mp3 --  (Download: 6.52 MB)

Hey,
Nice work on this mix, it's nicely balanced. It lacks some low midrange and lows, but anyway it is nicely mix track. Good work Smile This is my subjective opinion so you know, i might be completely wrong Smile
Sounds good to me

Does it need more low end? I guess it depends on what you listen just before it. I think it’s coherent the way it is. But I’m also sure that 1-2 dbs more low end wouldn’t spoil your mix.
Thank you so much for leaving a comment!
I suppose after being a bit shocked discovering the "boomyness" in my first attempt I overdid it with reducing the low frequencies.
Still, I think I'll keep the mix now as it is because it's a good reminder for me what to consider next time - also, I might be in danger of messing it up even more now.
I learned my lesson to listen to a wider variety of different sound systems.

Again thanks a lot, it really helps me assessing how much I can be of help by commenting on other peoples mixes as well. Blush
Boomyness can be caused by your room. In the long run it's not a solution to make a mix thinner to avoid problems.

Make or find a test file that plays notes one by one from some low note (C 32.70 hz ?) up to somewhere G (196 hz). Small interval between every note to silence the room. It may happen that you really hear your room's problems and get more insight to your mixing environment. Some note may die altogether and some notes may be very boomy. Listen the same file with good mixing headphones. If they are good, you should hear natural note progression. That kind of test shocked me some years sago and made me to treat my room.

Of course one can do real measurements but they will give you only numbers, not the emotional shock effect.
(11-01-2018, 10:16 PM)HVLTN Wrote: Again thanks a lot, it really helps me assessing how much I can be of help by commenting on other peoples mixes as well. Blush

Funny thing is that one personally benefit most of one's own comments. While you really listen others mixes and write down something, it rehearses your brains to "hear" things and details. And if you after that read other's comments about the same mix, it enhances your own listening process. So in the sense it's not so much about "golden ears", it's more about rehearsed brains.

Wow, thanks a lot for your advice, I will work on that!!
Something sounds gutted in your mix, but I can't put my finger on it. It sounds like you lack a lot of 100-500 but I can't say exactly from which track. Honestly the low end in the first one fits better in the mix than the second.
Hey guys, playing around with all of your awesome suggestions, I decided to give another mix a shot! I got rid of all EQ and some compression settings and started from scratch, take care to keep warmth and low end this time.
It still maintains the "sound" I try to aim for, but I personally think it's an improvement. If you find the time, please let me know if it's a step in the right direction, so I can keep that in mind for the next project.
Again, thanks a lot!!

.mp3    thelvnguage - Kings And Queens - master_rev2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.8 MB)