Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James May - Hold on you - voelund hands on faders mix
Yo all - happy new year.
Been a while. Just the other day I woke up 5.30 (thats early for me in case u dont know) and suddenly had this urge to get my plummin done in the studio, aka setup my 10+ year old Yamaha 01x and i88 so I can mix with hands on the faders, meanin acces to 8 faders at a time, 16 total.
So I had this abandoned mix of a James May song I worked on this way, using the build in verbs and effects with a few of Logics own.
To my surprise it sounds really good open and clear to my ears.
I leave you with the unmastered mixfile I just did and go to check some other mixes.
Hope life are good to you !
cheers
Niels

.mp3    Hold on you Mix#05.mp3 --  (Download: 7.99 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I forgot: the snare track were blessed with couple o places where connection were bad, aka sound changed/thin skinny awful/gotta do something.
I repaired it with samples from itself as good as I could.
Turn it up - remember its a mix file and this a mix forum ;-)
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Great mix,great job fixing that snare .
Thx mate. I had a cable like that ... In my days of 1/4 inch tape the sample possibility would have been cool.
Now we have what used to be either impossible, too expensive or both for the 2nd reason, under our hands affordable in our homes.
Strange world.
Do you find the bass too weak ?
Bass is spot on to me
Very natural and relaxed mix, I don’t find any faults as such.

But I’m sure you that could check the bass riff + drums interaction. I think the arrengment might have something special hidden in that area, and maybe you could apply some voelundian magic to it. Check Fleetwood Mac’s Rihannon if it gives you any inspiration. It has something similar in it arrangementwise.
Beware my friend, I May take up the Challenge
Good Call that Rhiannon similarity
Food for thought
Thx for havin a listen and all Best
Thx Takka. Thats always my problem that bas
Nice to hear another one of your mixes ,
Sounds well balanced ,good job with the snare I'm going to try to fix the snare in my next mix.
With the bass a subtle low end enhancement like a pultech style eq or an lower octave enhancement would sound cool !

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Mixed it again, fake double track guitars and vocal
subtle changes to vocal editing and made a percussion track hilightin sudden hits
The vocal is King here, may have overdone that ;-)
Then again nobodys louder than the Country singer and James is US citizen, and as such kind o aspire for that title - right ?Big Grin

Niels

.mp3    Hold on you Mix#07.mp3 --  (Download: 8.2 MB)