Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for feedback
First post here Smile Hi My name is vic....

Done in PT with a variety of plugs. I wanted to try to make it sound a little more produced than the live feel it starts with.

The track was exported as a file from an internal print. The master buss is very sparse and the mix hovers around -6db.

Let me know what you think I'm excited to have the multitracks here to help me practice my critical listening and mixing.

Negative (constructive) feedback is always welcome.

.mp3    Cog in the Machine VicsMix_01.mp3 --  (Download: 5.77 MB)

Generally sensible general balancing decisions here, and the important bits all come through as clearly as they should. Mix tonality is pretty well-judged and clear too, with some lovely weight on the kick and lots of air around the sounds in general. All good stuff, that! That said, I reckon you might be able to get more warmth and 'tail' out of this sound with some parallel compression processing, either on individual instruments, or as a global send.

The main area I'd criticise is the post-balancing stuff -- the sweetening stage. In the first instance, there's something about the ambience processing you're using that I don't like very much -- it just sounds rather boxy, as if it's been recorded in a small bedroom. I'd go back to the drawing board on that and try to find a reverb processor that will give you something more natural-sounding with which to blend this ensemble. (There are lots of freeware suggestions here.) I think you might also want to think a bit more about trying to blend things like the snare mic into the mix. At the moment it's very upfront, more so than the vocal, which feels a bit odd to me. It's partly that the snare's maybe a bit too loud in general, but it's also a reflections/ambience thing I reckon.

Hope some of that's useful!
(23-08-2012, 09:56 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: Generally sensible general balancing decisions here, and the important bits all come through as clearly as they should. Mix tonality is pretty well-judged and clear too, with some lovely weight on the kick and lots of air around the sounds in general. All good stuff, that! That said, I reckon you might be able to get more warmth and 'tail' out of this sound with some parallel compression processing, either on individual instruments, or as a global send.

The main area I'd criticise is the post-balancing stuff -- the sweetening stage. In the first instance, there's something about the ambience processing you're using that I don't like very much -- it just sounds rather boxy, as if it's been recorded in a small bedroom. I'd go back to the drawing board on that and try to find a reverb processor that will give you something more natural-sounding with which to blend this ensemble. (There are lots of freeware suggestions here.) I think you might also want to think a bit more about trying to blend things like the snare mic into the mix. At the moment it's very upfront, more so than the vocal, which feels a bit odd to me. It's partly that the snare's maybe a bit too loud in general, but it's also a reflections/ambience thing I reckon.

Hope some of that's useful!

Mike,

First, Thank you much for your feedback. Its been very hard for me to find feedback like this. Thank you.

I tend to mix really dry and have a bad habit of pulling back reverb tails due to their digital sound.

I went ahead and changed from Rverb to Revolver and feel I've now gotten better results.

I've made an attempt to tame and warm up the snare. I've used some limiting to tame it in the channels where it bleeds heavily (toms) and sent it over to my main reverb to give the sound more a tail.

Listening back I felt like the guitars were under represented in the first mix I did. I've tried to remedy that.

This revision is definitely wetter sounding. I just dont want it to sound like it's swimming.

Let me know what you think.

.mp3    Cog in the Machine VicsMix Rev 01_03.mp3 --  (Download: 5.77 MB)

I think that this chorus effect kinda ruined the vocal sound for me, and violin on the right is too loud, and I cannot hear the guitar. Maybe wider panning could help so that violin goes 100R, guitar 100L and floor tom 50L (I panned this way and it works).