Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storm Of Particles: 'of Ice An Hopless Fate' - Crownoise mix
Hey guys , man i love metal. This is a quick mix and master, didn't know how i could improv the mix that well so i sort of stuck with trying to get good levels, sort of (quickfix lol?Tongue;P;P) Here is my take.

.mp3    Metal smash quickmixmas.mp3 --  (Download: 9.02 MB)

.mp3    metal.mp3 --  (Download: 9.09 MB)

(08-01-2018, 03:53 AM)crownoise Wrote: Hey guys , man i love metal. This is a quick mix and master, didn't know how i could improv the mix that well so i sort of stuck with trying to get good levels, sort of (quickfix lol?Tongue;P;P) Here is my take.

Hi Crownoise!! Thank you for your mix Big Grin

There are some things to change in your mix, here are my suggestions:

- Lower a lot the delay volume on the voice, it's overwhelming at the moment
- Guitars don't feel correctly panned, you put them full L and full R correct? Also they don't stand up in the mix, you need to EQ them properly
- The snare lacks power when put side by side with the kick, you need to work on the EQ and raise the volume of about 3-4 db
- Lower the synth volume of about 2-3db, raise the volume of the acoustic guitars of about 2db

Have a nice day!! Smile
Check out my bands: 

Umbriferous - https://umbriferous.bandcamp.com/releases

Storm Of Particles - https://stormofparticles.bandcamp.com/releases
(08-01-2018, 02:13 PM)snabaz Wrote:
(08-01-2018, 03:53 AM)crownoise Wrote: Hey guys , man i love metal. This is a quick mix and master, didn't know how i could improv the mix that well so i sort of stuck with trying to get good levels, sort of (quickfix lol?Tongue;P;P) Here is my take.

- Guitars don't feel correctly panned, you put them full L and full R correct? Also they don't stand up in the mix, you need to EQ them properly
- The snare lacks power when put side by side with the kick, you need to work on the EQ and raise the volume of about 3-4 db
- Lower the synth volume of about 2-3db, raise the volume of the acoustic guitars of about 2db

Have a nice day!! Smile

Have you panned a stereo guitar track full l and r ? ,interesting one wish I could do that lol

(08-01-2018, 02:44 PM)takka360 Wrote:

Have a nice day!! Smile

Have you panned a stereo guitar track full l and r ? ,interesting one wish I could do that lol

The two guitar tracks (they are mono) don't feel correctly panned, they are too centered. Also instead of making sarcasm in the posts of other persons try to make constructive criticism.
Check out my bands: 

(08-01-2018, 02:49 PM)snabaz Wrote:
(08-01-2018, 02:44 PM)takka360 Wrote:

Have a nice day!! Smile

The two guitar tracks (they are mono) don't feel correctly panned, they are too centered. Also instead of making sarcasm in the posts of other persons try to make constructive criticism.

Do you think he left them in the centre ?because ive heard you say this about other mixes

Calm down mate. He's just sayin the guitars sounds a bit centered. And he's right
It's a fair question, as some people are mixing on headsets, it happens that sometimes not full panned guitars sounds better for them this way.

But it also, and maybe it's the case, due to an "abusive" close reverb in a bus ?
Sound Engineer @ MegamocheProd
Working on Cubase 9.5 Pro
Gear : Yamaha HS-7 // Sennheiser HD-25 // BeyerDynamics MMX-300 // Steinberg UR22 MKII
Hey guys, i know this mix wasn't close to a pro sound. I didn't take the time and effort needed for this mix but i felt i couldn't improve it further that day and i try to work on my mixflow so i left it "finished" even though it sounded a bit crappy! Yeah i have no idea how i could have messed up the stereoimage that much now that i listen back to it...:O And yeah i mix on earbuds since i sold alot of my gear, but i guess you can mix on them as long as you learn them. I will try to make another version and see if i can get better results within the same time-range workwise. Have a nice day guys.
(08-01-2018, 03:37 PM)crownoise Wrote: Hey guys, i know this mix wasn't close to a pro sound. I didn't take the time and effort needed for this mix but i felt i couldn't improve it further that day and i try to work on my mixflow so i left it "finished" even though it sounded a bit crappy! Yeah i have no idea how i could have messed up the stereoimage that much now that i listen back to it...:O And yeah i mix on earbuds since i sold alot of my gear, but i guess you can mix on them as long as you learn them. I will try to make another version and see if i can get better results within the same time-range workwise. Have a nice day guys.

No need to apologize mate, take your time and make what you love with passion and serenity Smile

When i mixed the album my budget was 200 euros (i bought a samson 8 mic kit to record the drums). I mixed on my earbuds (10 euros Sennheiser) Big Grin

If you love what you do, you don't need 50.000 euros of gear to make a good product. If there is talent and passion even with a cheap laptop, 2 channel interfaces and 1 di you can mix an album! Smile
Check out my bands: 

Hey snabaz thanks Big Grin I will try a remix later when i found my inspiration to mix metal again. There are some (very many?) technical issues when mixing metal that takes forever to fix, but yea i'll def try soon again!
Hi , I like your mix a lot and I think you are you are on the right track ,I'm hearing what snabaz is also hearing ,The vocals could come down a couple of db and especially the effects could be more subtle too taste of course .
The guitars in the side channels sound like they need some eq reduction around 400-600 and 3-4k area.
The snare maybe some more lower body and tame some smack around 4k as clashing with the kick ? A little more work on the low frequencies of the bass and kick for some more punch would sound great but in saying that I think there a some resonant frequencies with the instruments and vocals which could be tamed more which I need to sort out too ?
had a quick play around with your mix and uploaded some quick rough eq samples of what I am hearing on my monitors hopefully others listening on different monitors and listening environments can give some feedback on your mix and also what I am hearing too !

Cheers Big Grin

.mp3    Metal smash quickmixmas-eq...mp3 --  (Download: 9.13 MB)

.mp3    Metal smash quickmixmas-side channel before eq.mp3 --  (Download: 9.17 MB)

.mp3    Metal smash quickmixmas-side channel after eq.mp3 --  (Download: 9.17 MB)

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts