Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kings And Queens - Olli H
While I was mixing this song, I was refershing with my ears with Jeff Buckley. I guess it affected my mixing decisions.

.mp3    Kings And Queens-2018-01-07-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 8.87 MB)

The mix sounds nice! Do you have some linear phase processing on the bass/bass frequencies? I think I'm hearing the preringing woop woop effect on the bass, which usually is a side effect of high Q factor linear phase filtering. I doesn't sound bad, the bass just feels a bit artificial. ^_^
(07-01-2018, 02:47 PM)Olli H Wrote: While I was mixing this song, I was refershing with my ears with Jeff Buckley. I guess it affected my mixing decisions.

Hi OlliH:

I love the character and forwardness of your mix. Its aggressive in a great way, specially the lead vocals, very upfront. I will check for some minor distortion in the lead vocals at the beginning and last part of the song.I like the balances and that you also decided to take it out in a fade out,like I did too. Did you blended the two mics for the right guitar channel? I use them both independently and pan them opposite sides for more stereo. Nice mix, I like it a lot.
The vox have a bit too much 300 ish
Thanks

(07-01-2018, 10:30 PM)javierpg84 Wrote: Did you blended the two mics for the right guitar channel? I use them both independently and pan them opposite sides for more stereo. Nice mix, I like it a lot.
Yes, I first aligned them properly and after that I mixed them together. To avoid phase issues, I didn't use any effects on separate tracks, only on the combined folder-track.
(08-01-2018, 03:09 AM)takka360 Wrote: The vox have a bit too much 300 ish

THanks, I'll check that.
I like your mix Olli ,Sounds good ,on my monitors thinking a touch more top end sizzle on the snare 7k and up 1db or so !
Not sure if this is what Alan is hearing ,The keyboards maybe competing with the vocals around the 250-300 area 0.5 to 1 db or so ?
The bass guitar could be a little more constant ,maybe what kapu is also hearing !

very good mix Just some thoughts !

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hi Olli,

As per javierpg84, I like the forwardness of the mix also. At times the keys get a little lost at the expense of the guitar part, but on the whole I like the mix. I also like the sub 500hz fullness and warmth that's present. There maybe some slight cleaning up to do in this area but I wouldn't get too carried away.

Dave
Thats a bold mix, I like that.
You could go even further, if you dare/want to/have the time.
The "I stand in front of the guitar amp" mix could be "I move around the stage and hear diffrent elements better"
Oh you did that allready ;-)
Then a suggestion could be start with this lvl of guitar couple o seconds, then back it down a bit and again when introducin new focuspoint you make it just that tad too loud at first. Actually Im just tryin to find somethin to suggest
so there cant be much can there :-)
I have no problem with the slight clash of 300ish, its easy to solve in case you want to.
Very tasty use of your collection of tuned delays (and inaudible verbs - unless you take them away, then they would be missed)
A bit too squashed for my taste when looking at the audiofile but it sounds good and thats what count.
thx for the listen
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
THanks all for listening and commenting, I'm planning to do some tweaks in near future. I will take your suggestions into consideration.