Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Extremophile's Mix
(08-01-2018, 04:23 PM)Extremophile014 Wrote:
(08-01-2018, 04:20 PM)LukasL Wrote: Hey Extremophile,

very nice does not sound like a novice mix to me.

The only " beginner trap" you fell in is the reverb on the kick drum which (when it is played this fast) kind of shrouds the bottom end of your mix and looses a bit of punch.
I'd be cautious in general with reverb on the low-end because it can quickly muddy your mix.

Also a nice procedure in setting reverb levels (e.g. vocals): Increase the level until you can just hear it and than back it off a few db.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
LukasAngel

Got it! Thanks a lot. Guitarists like me often trick ourselves into getting loads of reverb to make things sound 'huge' haha.

On the rythm guitar sound there is, in my mix, only a little bit of reverb (15/100 level); the impulses from rosen digital and the amplifier sound did the rest. If you have a great amp sound you don't need to chain dozen of effects to make it even greater; always remember that less is better Big Grin
Check out my bands: 

Umbriferous - https://umbriferous.bandcamp.com/releases

Storm Of Particles - https://stormofparticles.bandcamp.com/releases
Here's, I think, a nice advice about guitar sound. Prefer working on your amp simp and IR choice instead of EQing again and again. (
Try to get as close a possible to the sound you want with just the amp sim and IR (TS808, gate, comp aren't a problem here)

You simply can't get what's missing on your guitar tone by EQing if it isn't there. (And it's true for any instrument)

Personally I always use Amplitube 4 (bypass the cab section that I find sucky as hell), or the Poulins free vst amps on Catharsis impulses (wich are the best free impulses I found)

Your guitar tone isn't wrong at all, it just feel too much EQed.
Sound Engineer @ MegamocheProd
Working on Cubase 9.5 Pro
Gear : Yamaha HS-7 // Sennheiser HD-25 // BeyerDynamics MMX-300 // Steinberg UR22 MKII
(08-01-2018, 04:29 PM)jugx Wrote: Here's, I think, a nice advice about guitar sound. Prefer working on your amp simp and IR choice instead of EQing again and again. (
Try to get as close a possible to the sound you want with just the amp sim and IR (TS808, gate, comp aren't a problem here)

You simply can't get what's missing on your guitar tone by EQing if it isn't there. (And it's true for any instrument)

Personally I always use Amplitube 4 (bypass the cab section that I find sucky as hell), or the Poulins free vst amps on Catharsis impulses (wich are the best free impulses I found)

I see what you mean here - I will be applying these to my future mixes. When I first started getting to know what mixing & mastering metal actually is, I was still in China so there was very limited access to mixing resources (e.g. plugins and DAWs) and especially, turtorials. Now I've come this far and it's great to hear from you guys!
(08-01-2018, 04:33 PM)Extremophile014 Wrote:
(08-01-2018, 04:29 PM)jugx Wrote: Here's, I think, a nice advice about guitar sound. Prefer working on your amp simp and IR choice instead of EQing again and again. (

I see what you mean here - I will be applying these to my future mixes. When I first started getting to know what mixing & mastering metal actually is, I was still in China so there was very limited access to mixing resources (e.g. plugins and DAWs) and especially, turtorials. Now I've come this far and it's great to hear from you guys!

It's a pleasure man, feel free to ask any questions/advices if you need them Big Grin
Check out my bands: 

Umbriferous - https://umbriferous.bandcamp.com/releases

Storm Of Particles - https://stormofparticles.bandcamp.com/releases