Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
BolzAndKnecht Summertime mixed by Sergei.Katkovskii
Hey,

Check out my mix.

.mp3    BolzAndKnecht_Summertime_Full.mp3 --  (Download: 3.79 MB)

Remixed

I think this remix much more clear and bright. What do you think?

.mp3    BolzAndKnecht_Summertime_Mix_2.mp3 --  (Download: 3.79 MB)

Hello Serg,

Nice work! I think I like your first mix better. For me it sits back from the listener, which makes it sound more focused and framed in a good way. A more natural sound i guess.
(08-01-2018, 10:02 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Hello Serg,

Nice work! I think I like your first mix better. For me it sits back from the listener, which makes it sound more focused and framed in a good way. A more natural sound i guess.

Hm... Interesting... Thanks for your input, DaveWink
Two very different mixes. Second one Way louder so the Ear easily gets fooled to like that better
My 2 cents:
First one are less compressed, more natural and give sax the lions share of the soundscape
Second are very close, guitar and its percussion closer and a more even balance

I Would go for the inbetween, a third mix more natural than mix two, closer than mix one
Its really two aesthetics and hard to diskuss as both are fine and valid mix decisions
Just my preference really
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(09-01-2018, 10:19 PM)Voelund Wrote: Two very different mixes. Second one Way louder so the Ear easily gets fooled to like that better
My 2 cents:
First one are less compressed, more natural and give sax the lions share of the soundscape
Second are very close, guitar and its percussion closer and a more even balance

I Would go for the inbetween, a third mix more natural than mix two, closer than mix one
Its really two aesthetics and hard to diskuss as both are fine and valid mix decisions
Just my preference really

This is exactly what I wanted to hear - constructive criticism. I really appreciate your point.
And yes the third mix is on the way.
Thank you.
Hello Sergei,

So I'm no pro I'm here to get my mixing on point also, so I fill funny trying to tell people about their mix when i'm not sure about mine.
But I do want to point out that their is noise in the original track soon as you push play (0:01) and all throughout the song you can hear the sax player making air sounds when he blows. Just about in everybody's mix I can hear it and it seem like no one is using a noise gate to eliminate it.

Like for you to listen to my mix also and tell me what you think.

Thank You
(14-01-2018, 05:56 AM)TheTank Wrote: Hello Sergei,

So I'm no pro I'm here to get my mixing on point also, so I fill funny trying to tell people about their mix when i'm not sure about mine.
But I do want to point out that their is noise in the original track soon as you push play (0:01) and all throughout the song you can hear the sax player making air sounds when he blows. Just about in everybody's mix I can hear it and it seem like no one is using a noise gate to eliminate it.

Like for you to listen to my mix also and tell me what you think.

Thank You
I heard those noises too. What I did was cut the front of the tracks off, so they start right where the guitar percussion comes in--the noise was in the guitar tracks, so the cut took care of that. As for the breath sounds, I feel like they EQ'd down to a mostly unnoticeable level after I got the sax sound I wanted. Like you, I am new and feel weird commenting on other people's stuff, and am by no means sure that I am doing things the right way. good conversation, though.

Jesse
I'm here to learn also, so I'll pose a question for discussion; how would you set the gate so the sax sound wouldn't be impacted? The attack could easily go in the 10ms - 20ms range, but how to set the time the gate would be open, and then how to set the release are questions I'll be sitting down with later. My gate will also set a frequency range. If I recall this correctly, a tenor sax range is 120Hz up to about 1kHz, but audible harmonic frequencies easily up to 12kHz. The hiss of the breaths are likely up there, 12k - 15k. My solution was EQ to make those breaths less noticeable. I've got three gates I could test with and will supply some answers for each plug-in over time.
Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.