Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Black Crown - Flames- New Mix
Comments Welcome Big Grin

I Gave it another shot and tried to use the suggestions that Takka made. I worked on the drums, brought up the overheads tried to brighten it a bit Qing the bass and guitars. Tried to get a bit more shine on it

compare and comment please

Thanks
KBig Grin

.mp3    Flames.mp3 --  (Download: 12.35 MB)

.mp3    The Black Crown2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.69 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Nice balanced vocal .Pretty good mix but I think chorus section could be a bit more powerful, as the mix is a bit on one level and a bit flat sounding ,needs a bit more excitement .I think the overheads could come up a bit too.
Overall great work .
(05-01-2018, 01:03 PM)takka360 Wrote: Nice balanced vocal .Pretty good mix but I think chorus section could be a bit more powerful, as the mix is a bit on one level and a bit flat sounding ,needs a bit more excitement .I think the overheads could come up a bit too.
Overall great work .

Thanks Takka great feedback and I see exactly what you mean, Ill give it another try later
Thanks
K
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(05-01-2018, 01:03 PM)takka360 Wrote: Nice balanced vocal .Pretty good mix but I think chorus section could be a bit more powerful, as the mix is a bit on one level and a bit flat sounding ,needs a bit more excitement .I think the overheads could come up a bit too.
Overall great work .
Gave it another shot, took your advice, hope I went about it correctly,,,seems to have a bit more excitement now. Cheers

Hi there!

Really good balance, man, but there is some questions.
Why do you use Guitar DI tracks without amp simulation? Well, if you are not into heavy guitar music I will explain. DI tracks is sound taken from guitar/bass before the amplifier. You want to have it in the set because sometimes you don't like the sound recorded from amp by mics. So if you have DI tracks in the set you can do a "reamping": take a DI track and send in to a your guitar amp or emulation and record that sound as your guitar track. For bass people sometimes use DI tracks "as is", but not for guitar.

Sry for my english...
(19-02-2018, 01:57 PM)CHEpachilo Wrote: Hi there!

Really good balance, man, but there is some questions.
Why do you use Guitar DI tracks without amp simulation? Well, if you are not into heavy guitar music I will explain. DI tracks is sound taken from guitar/bass before the amplifier. You want to have it in the set because sometimes you don't like the sound recorded from amp by mics. So if you have DI tracks in the set you can do a "reamping": take a DI track and send in to a your guitar amp or emulation and record that sound as your guitar track. For bass people sometimes use DI tracks "as is", but not for guitar.

Sry for my english...

Hi CHEpachilo

Welcome to the site

To answer your Questions .. The DI tracks are reamped .. I used GTR, but didn't drive the Amp that much mostly just for color and a bit of grit .. If you listen to TBC's official release of this song'' you will see that its not an over the top drastic difference from the naked DI tracks. I used that mix as my reference. I don't use presets, being a guitar, bass player and drummer , I know the amps, cabs and mic setups pretty good and can usually match up and dial in the sound I'm looking for easily. Ill sometimes use amp sim on a mic'ed track if the recording wasn't that great or it seems like the song called for it.
Amp sims are a great tool used properly, but not to make everything sound like Dimebag or Kirk H, even though they are 2 great players

Ill look for your mix and have a listen!

Keep mixing and have fun!!

Cheers!!

KSmile
(20-02-2018, 06:55 AM)KMuzic Wrote: Hi CHEpachilo

Welcome to the site

To answer your Questions .. The DI tracks are reamped .. I used GTR, but didn't drive the Amp that much mostly just for color and a bit of grit .. If you listen to TBC's official release of this song'' you will see that its not an over the top drastic difference from the naked DI tracks. I used that mix as my reference. I don't use presets, being a guitar, bass player and drummer , I know the amps, cabs and mic setups pretty good and can usually match up and dial in the sound I'm looking for easily. Ill sometimes use amp sim on a mic'ed track if the recording wasn't that great or it seems like the song called for it.
Amp sims are a great tool used properly, but not to make everything sound like Dimebag or Kirk H, even though they are 2 great players

Ill look for your mix and have a listen!

Keep mixing and have fun!!

Cheers!!

KSmile

Oh, ok, so thats was planned.
Well in that case it needs to be a little cleaned up in 200 - 400Hz to sound a little bit less "round". Or maybe just rise distorted guitar up a bit, so that distorted part gives you some "bite" and definition, and clean part gives some "weight" and "fatness".

Anyway for this track something like Linkin Park is good reference, I think. So if you listen to that kinda music there are usually a very huge distorted guitars and it works very well. So that's I try to make it sound like really huge in my mix.
Check it out: right here
Nice mix, KMusic,
You could rise toms up more,
Drums are a bit "edgy" to my ears, perhaps some saturation would helped?
Anyway, it is nice work, keep it up Smile
(23-02-2018, 01:29 PM)Lethan Wrote: Nice mix, KMusic,
You could rise toms up more,
Drums are a bit "edgy" to my ears, perhaps some saturation would helped?
Anyway, it is nice work, keep it up Smile

Thanks for the feedback Lethan

Ill try that on the next version

Cheers

KSmile