Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Lead Inc - The Dice (By tete)
Any comments are welcome

.mp3    The dice.mp3 --  (Download: 13.89 MB)

Compresor de bus SSL, Gates Sta-Level, Dbx 160x, UA 1176, Bae 1073, Lomo Up27, Ear 822Q, IGS Tubecore Mastering Edition, Lexicon PCM 70, Ferrofish A16, SSL Six, Studer Revox B77, Yamaha HS8
Hey there, here´s my 2cents:

The mix sounds a bit too roomy for me, hence it lacks impact. Certain elements would benefit from having much less spatial effects on them. This is heavy stuff, so better keep it on the dry side. Regarding the third dimension I feel that some elements of the song play in their own space, which distracts me from perceiving the mix as a unity. Some bass notes seem to stick out a tad too much compared to the rest of the levels. Regarding the overall macrodynamics the chorus seems smaller than some parts of the verses, which is often the case when applying too much 2 bus compression and/or limiting. Overall I´d go back and juggle with the compression on the individual tracks. There is a certain industry standard when mixing this type of music. The elements really need to jump out of the speakers without coming across as being to squashed or over compressed, which is an artform in itself.

Having said all of this, I´d like to encourage you to keep on refining your mix. It´s not bad by any means, I enjoyed listening to it, it´s just that some adjustments need to be made in order for the song to shine. Nothing more, nothing less.
In the other mix I did not compress many instruments as they should be.
The bass carries a compression of 20: 1 and apart a multiband to control well those low frequencies that protrude from the mix.
And for this type of music you need very high compressions. Especially in the low areas, even with electric guitars in this case.
Very different from synthesizers that do not need so much compression.
Recordings usually need more compression since they sometimes pick up unwanted frequencies.

This is my new mix without master
Maybe what I have left to do is mitigate the HH a little, but I think it is now correct

And listening to your mix. The drums are crushed and without dynamics, the kick sounds like Trash metal and it's a rock song. And the bass needs a lot of compression and attenuate it over 150hz.

.mp3    the dice solo mezcla(2).mp3 --  (Download: 13.88 MB)

Compresor de bus SSL, Gates Sta-Level, Dbx 160x, UA 1176, Bae 1073, Lomo Up27, Ear 822Q, IGS Tubecore Mastering Edition, Lexicon PCM 70, Ferrofish A16, SSL Six, Studer Revox B77, Yamaha HS8