Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ripe: '4 Out Of 10' (critiques pls)
Hey everybody,

after a break of a few months I have finally mixed some stuff again.
Comments are greatly appreciated.

V2:
Changed Bass Amp Sim and Cab, Tom Verb, Vocal Automation and Parallel Compression for a more "transparent" Sound, Brightend Up Horns, More Room Verb for live feel.

Cheers,
Lukas Angel

.mp3    Ripe_4onthe10.mp3 --  (Download: 9.06 MB)

.mp3    Ripe_4onthe10_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.06 MB)

really nice mix, horns weren't over cooked, drums nice and smooth. really enjoyable mix. nice space, nice balance.
welcome back!

K

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Nice balanced mix. Cymbals are maybe too loud
Both great mixes. Something about V2 sounds more pleasing to my ear. A little smoother in the 4k-10k range. As discussed in my mix, I chose less gloss on the high end, due to the style of the music, but yours sounds great too.

My only critiques would be (as Olli mentioned) the cymbals (OH mics) are a bit out front, or perhaps too bright. And, because this was a live recording with a dynamic mic, I would add another layer of compression to even out the vocals. I used Slate's FG-Stress for basic compression, then leveled it with SoundToys Decapitator.

I like the delay choice on the right-panned guitar. I was toying around with a rotary cab plugin on the left channel guitar...But, as a guitar player myself, who has had a few sound guys take liberties with my tone / effects in the mains, I'm just too chicken to make those decisions with anyone else's tone. I know... these mixes are just for fun... but that's just a hang up of mine. I assume the guitar player likes his tone and effect choices (as I like mine), so I'm always afraid of messing with it.
Listening to V2 Sounds good and nice balance ,besides some upper frequencies of the vocals and guitars popping out of the mix which I think could be tamed a touch more with some dynamic eq ,your mix is very clean ,punchy and dynamic !

Good job !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts