Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hopeless Judders
Hey all, here's my mix. I did it before the midi was uploaded, but I replaced all the drums except the overheads, ride, high hat and a bit of bass drum anyway.

All criticisms and questions are welcome Smile

Had to correct what I presume was some wrong notes on the bass during the solo, unless it was deliberate semitone clusters?

.mp3    HopelessJudders.mp3 --  (Download: 9.5 MB)

Thanks for the feedback ,cool version maybe a touch more body of the snare and less rattle of the bottom snare !

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Everything sounds pretty clear.

Agreed with Thedon,

But before that I'd try to give those guitars more fatness :
Try not to cut low frequencies to much on guitars. I think 180-220Hz is the max cap, when u really got messy bottom.
There also, almost always, are 4 frequencies highly resonating nobody wants to keep : around 500 to 800Hz - 1k - 2k and 4k
[Image: 152.jpg]

It's pretty much what I do on every distorded guitar I do and well... It looks like it works nicely

You can also try to duplicate the bass track, one EQ V shaped, for natural sound : low basses and attack in high frequencies
The other, distorded, low and high cuted to keep only middle range things.
This may make it heavily consistent with the guitars and make your guitars sound fat
Sound Engineer @ MegamocheProd
Working on Cubase 9.5 Pro
Gear : Yamaha HS-7 // Sennheiser HD-25 // BeyerDynamics MMX-300 // Steinberg UR22 MKII
Thanks guys.

The guitars weren't high passed beyond about 80Hz I think, and there is a parallel distorted channel for the bass guitar. I did take out some fizzle on the rhythm guitars around 4-5kHz, but I wanted a fairly grindy midrange. There was no point low passing the guitars, because the impulse responses I used weren't passing anything over about 8kHz anyway.

I have to say that I like to hear snares. I'm not a fan of the mambo-esque "thwock". Maybe I overcooked them though, I'll take a listen.

My biggest take away from listening to others' mixes was that my kick drums were quite tubby. They could do with a bit more shaping and a more defined transient.