Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
MegamocheProd's Mix
Haha I used to be in a band as guitarist/vocalist thinkin' "Oooh my god we'll get rich whit that thing !"
But that time has passed. Just been a father, band disband & everything. Not gonna stop playin music for sure, but absolutely not the same way, more like "Hey guyz, let's compose things --As good as we can, because we just have to, somehow--. Maybe release albums and do some show from there to there. Let's just have fun, and maybe make good stuff".
At the moment I'm more around 30 than 20 :p And yeah metal is my genre (any kind of metal). But I listen to almost everything (Except crappy R&B, rap, modern autotuned "thingies", and maybe eletro musics, but it depends on how it's done, I like some, but it's kinda rare)

About my mix, glad you like it !
But little high boost on the kick ? meeeh... If it is what wants the band, can absolutely do that with no problem. Otherwise, if there is a type of kick I absolutely didn't want there : it's a clicky one ^^
Maybe you just talking about a bit more of the "hit skin" sound ?

De-essing the sustained guitars... hm... gonna have a look to what you spotted, and see what can be done.

Sound Engineer @ MegamocheProd
Working on Cubase 9.5 Pro
Gear : Yamaha HS-7 // Sennheiser HD-25 // BeyerDynamics MMX-300 // Steinberg UR22 MKII
snabaz are you a bass player by any chance ?this mix don't lack bass
Just updated a new version !

Here is the patch log :p

-Overall punch a bit increased
-Enlarged a bit the distorted bass bandwidth in low frequencies
-Vocals volume +0.6dB, makes it pierces the mix better
-Vocals are also made brighter, sounds more natural
-Added a smooth far far away delay on the voice to "atmospherise" it a bit.
-Smoothed the "cracky" sound at the end of the guitar/bass long sustained notes
-Fixed some "Flah" between kick and snare
-Fixed a little "Click" happening on the 3rd acoustic part come back
Gear : Yamaha HS-7 // Sennheiser HD-25 // BeyerDynamics MMX-300 // Steinberg UR22 MKII
(04-01-2018, 06:43 AM)jugx Wrote: How I like this kind of comment :p Thx a lot !

Of course I will bring back that low kick punch ! Smile
But not with an EQ, the vst I used can be kind of messy around there, but I think I know how to deal with it. I discovered a trick while working on something else, time to see if it may work everytime ! :p
I will also try to give the snare more punch in the attack, to make it feel more like it has the power of a gunshot. Realy want to reach that Wolfheart's snare feel. (By the way, is that band an influence ? Because this is absolutely what this track reminds me, especially your singer's voice)

Then I'll finish the cleaning job, automate some things, master it and...
Well, hope that you like it so hard you want it for your full album :p

Hi jugx, i just finished listening your last version. It's an amazing job and if i had to record the album again i'll hire you Tongue.

Answering your questions:

- Yes, wolfheart is one of my influences along with all the works Tuomas Saukkonen made (Before the dawn, Dawn Of Solace, ecc.)

- I'm the singer and the guitarist of the band Big Grin

And i don't know if it was clear when the admin posted the RAW tracks: i've produced the album, the reference mix is mine Big Grin

Thank you very much for your work and all the comments that all the users gave in this post. I wanted to make public the tracks to also learn more things myself because you know: in this job you are ALWAYS on the learning.

Have a good day Smile
Check out my bands: 

Umbriferous - https://umbriferous.bandcamp.com/releases

Storm Of Particles - https://stormofparticles.bandcamp.com/releases
Yea man i was going to type: Maybe a bit more lowermids/upperbass punch. Lol XD owell i think you understood what i was saying anyhow it seems, i will listen to the newest version.
Thx for the comments guyz.

I though my mix was right but then... I read Snabaz comment... And had a look to Dawn Of Solace album.
I was like "Damn ! This is absolutely what SoP Needs, not Wolfheart, but SoP ! More over my accoustic guitars and rythm tones are somehow going this way"
And compared to this, what I've done felt absolutely bassless...

So... I put myself in again...
Here is what I came up with !

Changelog :
-Added a bit more body to accoustic guitars
-Added more real low notes to the bass. Subs ! Subs subs !
-Edited vocal line a bit, to follow rythm and drum much better (Here, Snabaz, you tell me if I completely fooled myself or not xD)
-Changed my MasterEQ to something matching Dawn Of Solace sound.
-Fatten the rythm guitars a bit
-Smoothed high frequencies of rythm guitars
-Killed "Pssshh" from bass and cracks from guitars at the ending of the song
-Made Kick and snare pierce the mix maybe better

Now the question here is... How are basses going ?
Sounds clear --I mean, consistant enough match with Dawn of Solace mix, no resonating frequencies-- on all my monitoring systems, but I clearly don't have one real flat down there to perfectly know what I am doing.
Sounds great! Perhaps the snare could put on some weight? Nice work. ^_^