Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woodfire Outer - Mellotron Mix/Master
Howdy y'all!

This is my first mix/master post to the Discussion Zone. Appreciate any thoughts/suggestions!

.mp3    Woodfire - Outer - Mellotron Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.11 MB)

Wassup, Mel. I just was waiting for some flutes or something until I realized it was your nom de guerre!
I've seen same thing happening on many of this tune's mixes here, which is: you got a cool initial balance*, and then it kinda breaks when the drummer starts hittin' the cymbals and toms (toms here being specially intrusive, are you gating them? 'cause that and being loud and dry make them feel disconnected from the rest of the kit).
*Maybe you could try making it bigger (more guitar and kick), so it's not such a big difference when the cym/toms come in, more so if you tame those two.

On the "as I lay to rest" break, someone should have told these guys to cool it a little. A little automation (making drums, bass and maybe guitar smaller until the rhythm comes back) could help to better shape the dynamics of the song, maybe even better if there was some spacial treatment to make the break more dopey.

Bass is just where it should be, at least listening on headphones (though it could use that dimming treatment during the break, as I said). And voice sounds great, though I think it's a shame to dismiss the second vocal, which is key to that wild bykers bunch feel I understand is the coolest thing about this tune.

Overall it feels proportionated but still raw and exciting, it's just some details lacking that could make it nuclear!