Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Black Crown 'Flames' MikeGoPro Mix
On this one I don't think I did any tuning, aligning, or editing, I just tried to get it to sound aggressive, while keeping the Vox up front.

Have a listen, and as always feel free to comment.

Cheers!

Here's a quick revision. I just swapped out some plugins, and used a better method.

Its not done yet but its a good starting point, and can more easily be refined than the first one.

that's it for now but I'm sure there's more.

Cheers!

Updated Mix 2/23/18 originally updated 2/22/18

Okay enough messing around, the Olympics have me amped! Cool
So I'm going for the gold! Tongue But in all seriousness, I rebooted this mix, basically stripping it down, and building it back up. I obviously eased up on the limiting, re-amped all the guitars and the bass, addressed the masking, and resonance issues. I kept it aggressive of course, but it's a quick rough draft so there are some things that still need special attention.

Cheers!

.mp3    TheBlackCrown_Flames_MikeGoPro Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 12.91 MB)

.mp3    TheBlackCrown_Flames MikeGoPro Quick Revision#1.mp3 --  (Download: 12.8 MB)

.mp3    TheBlackCrown_Flames MikeGoPro Mix Reboot.mp3 --  (Download: 12.8 MB)

Huh, what you do on the mixbus? :o it sounds incredibly squashed and pumps all the time... The vocal sounds pretty decent though
(05-01-2018, 12:37 PM)niektb Wrote: Huh, what you do on the mixbus? :o it sounds incredibly squashed and pumps all the time... The vocal sounds pretty decent though

Hi niektb, I don't have the project in front of me right now but I'm pretty sure I used a tape emu, either Hornet Tape, or Toneboosters Reelbus, and then I think I had AirWindows NC-17, or another limiter after it. I'll have to check to make sure. But yeah I pushed it pretty hard no doubt. I'll probably revisit it once I get some down time.

thanks for commenting, I'll take a listen to some of your mixes as well.

Cheers!
Yeah, I am sorry I can't help you much because I didn't see your mix session but I would check your gain staging. At what level does the master bus peak without your mixbus plugins? (and check the levels of your guitar bus and drum bus too Smile)
(06-01-2018, 01:04 PM)niektb Wrote: Yeah, I am sorry I can't help you much because I didn't see your mix session but I would check your gain staging. At what level does the master bus peak without your mixbus plugins? (and check the levels of your guitar bus and drum bus too Smile)

I just uploaded a quick revision, and addressed a few issues the first upload had, maybeWink
Overprocessed. It sounds like a case of too many drastic changes.
(20-01-2018, 11:03 AM)Leumou Wrote: Overprocessed. It sounds like a case of too many drastic changes.

You took the words right out of my mouth.
Its not gain staged properly either. Lately on some other projects besides the ones on this site, I've really tried to handle that step first and everything else almost falls into place. Its really a total fail at this point, but I'll fix it soon. Big Grin

Later!
I think you also did too much gating/expanding on the drum reverb or something (the tails of, most noticeably, the snare do not decay in a natural way but stop too sudden)
(20-01-2018, 01:33 PM)niektb Wrote: I think you also did too much gating/expanding on the drum reverb or something (the tails of, most noticeably, the snare do not decay in a natural way but stop too sudden)

Hey Niektb,
You're on target, I had a case of too much of this, and too much of that, and not enough thought in-between. For example like not requiring any plugin/hardware to do too much work, and like having the processes in order. As well as making sure the routings of inserts, auxes, and buses are in agreement. In general just paying attention to the details. Mixing is almost like coding in some regards, and there are usually errors/glitches/bugs etc. But amazingly I'm getting a lot of satisfaction from gain staging first on the inserts and then the busses before it gets to the master. All projects that I do that on first, are done faster and sound better. So this one I will revisit with a much better effort. Angel

Later!
Oh my god that's pretty RAW. Maybe try to balance it less extremely? Bass down, guitars up, reverb make not so heavy and loosen up a gates a bit? I think that really a very interesting direction for that song, but really there is too much aggression...