Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter is Coming!
Starting the new year off right with a mix of a Mello Death track m/! Thanks to Matteo and Storm of Particles for the multis and good luck with the album release!

Update: I adjusted the vocals a bit, brought the Hi Hat/cymbals down a touch, and evened out the levels on the acoustic guitars. Also there's a multiband comp on the master bus now to even out the sound and I reduced the soft clipping as well.

.mp3    Mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.2 MB)

.mp3    Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.2 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Hey =)

I like your mix, only thing is the HH that is a bit too loud and maybe the vocals could be a bit louder.

Take care.
Mixing with a dt770 for now..
(02-01-2018, 06:23 PM)Jimdolorian Wrote: Hey =)

I like your mix, only thing is the HH that is a bit too loud and maybe the vocals could be a bit louder.

Take care.

Thanks Jim, I'll have to take a look at that (I generally mix my cymbals louder in these kinds of tracks but the hats really poke out at the beginning), the vocals seemed to be around the same level as the band's reference mix and with death metal the vocals are treated more as an instrument rather than vocals, as opposed to Pop/Rock where the vocal tends to be more pushed in front, but I did notice a couple of spots where they did get drowned out a bit.

Cheers and Happy New Year,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Hi
This is clearly the best mix i can hear by there.
I agreed with Jim.

Good job tho !

Sound Engineer @ MegamocheProd
Working on Cubase 9.5 Pro
Gear : Yamaha HS-7 // Sennheiser HD-25 // BeyerDynamics MMX-300 // Steinberg UR22 MKII
(02-01-2018, 06:59 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: Starting the new year off right with a mix of a Mello Death track m/! Thanks to Matteo and Storm of Particles for the multis and good luck with the album release!

Hi dcp10200! Smile

A very good job! Only bring up a little bit the acoustic guitars volume and you are good to go! Big Grin

Thank you very much for your mix, one of the best!
Check out my bands: 

Umbriferous - https://umbriferous.bandcamp.com/releases

Storm Of Particles - https://stormofparticles.bandcamp.com/releases
(03-01-2018, 09:18 PM)snabaz Wrote:
(02-01-2018, 06:59 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: Starting the new year off right with a mix of a Mello Death track m/! Thanks to Matteo and Storm of Particles for the multis and good luck with the album release!

Hi dcp10200! Smile

A very good job! Only bring up a little bit the acoustic guitars volume and you are good to go! Big Grin

Thank you very much for your mix, one of the best!

Thanks! I was going to say the same thing, when I finished rendering and uploaded the mix I remembered I forgot to automate the acoustics up during the verse!

Cheers,
Doug

Mix 2 is now up in the OP

Sounds pretty damn good!

The cymbals are a bit piercing. Not too loud, just piercing. I had a lot of trouble with that too.

I love your kick drum sound, it's killer. The snare is a tad weedy in comparison though.

The lack of bass guitar is taking a bit of balls away from your mix for me, except in the end section where you've got some resonant notes sticking out. Also, those semitone intervals, that I presume are a mistake, during the solo stick out a mile to me.

Overall really good, and lots of clarity which is tough to get in this genre! Smile
Just heard version 2, for me it's all ok. Amazing work!
Check out my bands: 

Umbriferous - https://umbriferous.bandcamp.com/releases

Storm Of Particles - https://stormofparticles.bandcamp.com/releases
Hey man, very good mix. Nice to hear.