Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First-time post - Kings And Queens mix
Hi All,

Newbie here, so please let me know if my levels are where they should be.

As regards this rather, err.., idiosyncratic song, I really enjoyed the challenge. Love the singer's voice and the slightly impenetrable lyrics, but some of the recording, engineering and production decisions were pretty baffling, not the least of which was the abrupt ending, which sounds as though someone flipped the breaker! Maybe that was the point. Any and all comments gratefully received. Happy New Year to all.

.mp3    Kings And Queens.mp3 --  (Download: 8.88 MB)

Nice job .. vocals sounded great on my monitors, nice fix on the ending. yeah i think someone chopped a few tracks short..lol only thing that really stood out was the lead guitar at the end, just pull it back a little. good job, keep up the good work

cheers
K
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(02-01-2018, 03:17 AM)KMuzic Wrote: Nice job .. vocals sounded great on my monitors, nice fix on the ending. yeah i think someone chopped a few tracks short..lol only thing that really stood out was the lead guitar at the end, just pull it back a little. good job, keep up the good work

cheers
K

Thanks - much appreciated. Yes, I liked the vocal 'space', but I see what you mean about the guitar at the end. Poking its head a little too far out, and the synth behind it is also a bit distracting.
Nice work SDM,
Balance is good, instruments has their right place. Yeap, nice work Smile
I like it! To my ears there are some phase issues with the two rhythm guitars tracks throughout the song. Nudging one track around some milliseconds should help to make this mix even better Smile
(12-01-2018, 08:53 PM)HVLTN Wrote: I like it! To my ears there are some phase issues with the two rhythm guitars tracks throughout the song. Nudging one track around some milliseconds should help to make this mix even better Smile

Thanks!. Interesting point on the guitars. Will certainly give that a closer listen...
Overall frequency balance could be better. Too much 10k+, and its too untamed. You need more lower mids as well. Guitar is sounds gutted as someone said above. Check your phase between the two recordings. Really verby, but you made it work. Vox needs some good ol deessing.
(12-01-2018, 09:57 PM)Leumou Wrote: Overall frequency balance could be better. Too much 10k+, and its too untamed. You need more lower mids as well. Guitar is sounds gutted as someone said above. Check your phase between the two recordings. Really verby, but you made it work. Vox needs some good ol deessing.

Thanks for the observations. I tend to try and take the 'woofiness' out of the guitars, but might overdone it a bit. I'll listen for the 10K, I did de-ess the vocals pretty stringently, but felt anymore would have been overly 'squashy'. Maybe I should narrow the range a bit. Could also be that if the 10K is a bit much that contributes to the 'essiness'. Yes - I like my 'verb... :-)
The OHs are pretty loud too. I cant remember if there us a hh track but their too loud
The end needs fading out
(13-01-2018, 12:23 AM)takka360 Wrote: The OHs are pretty loud too. I cant remember if there us a hh track but their too loud
The end needs fading out

No HH track. Kick,Snare, Tom and OH. Good call on the end, although it comes pretty suddenly!...