Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storm Of Particles: 'Of Ice And Hopeless Fate
Thought I would give this song a go ,I need more practice on genre !

Here is version 1

Version 2 based on feedback from Matteo !
Version 3 made some adjustments !
Version 4 some more adjustments and eq
Cheers Big Grin

.mp3    Storm Of Particles V4.mp3 --  (Download: 9.02 MB)

.mp3    StormOfParticles_OfIceAndHopelessFate V1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.04 MB)

.mp3    StormOfParticles_OfIceAndHopelessFate_V2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.9 MB)

.mp3    StormOfParticles_OfIceAndHopelessFate V3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.99 MB)

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(01-01-2018, 04:59 AM)thedon Wrote: Thought I would give this song a go ,I need more practice on genre !

Here is version 1

Cheers Big Grin

Hi Thedon! Smile

Thank you for mixing the track!

Here are some tips to enhance your mix:
  • Try to scoop some mids and bass from the acoustic guitars and cut a lot on the high; add reverb + delay + a little bit of flanger and you are good to go
  • The mix doesn't have the Lead guitar track Sad
  • Drums are pretty ok, you need to lower the high frequencies on the overheads and give a greater punch to the kick, try also to change the curve of the EQ on your snare in order to focus it on the 250-300hz spectrum for the punch and 1500hz-2000hz to add a little bit of sharpness to the notes
  • I don't hear the armonizations between the two rythm guitars, try to adjust the volumes
  • Voice is ok but the volume is too high, lower it a bit

Have a nice day! Smile
Check out my bands: 

Umbriferous - https://umbriferous.bandcamp.com/releases

Storm Of Particles - https://stormofparticles.bandcamp.com/releases
(01-01-2018, 08:52 AM)snabaz Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 04:59 AM)thedon Wrote: Thought I would give this song a go ,I need more practice on genre !

Here is version 1

Cheers Big Grin

Hi Thedon! Smile

• Try to scoop some mids and bass from the acoustic guitars and cut a lot on the high; add reverb + delay + a little bit of flanger and you are good to go
  • Drums are pretty ok, you need to lower the high frequencies on the overheads and give a greater punch to the kick, try also to change the curve of the EQ on your snare in order to focus it on the 250-300hz spectrum for the punch and 1500hz-2000hz to add a little bit of sharpness to the notes
  • I don't hear the armonizations between the two rythm guitars, try to adjust the volumes

Have a nice day! Smile
Hi Matteo
Thanks for sharing your multi tracks of your great performance and your feedback !

I had a look at the session and did mute the lead and didn't do any eq or effects to the acoustic guitars Blush.
Uploading Version 2 with the vocals lower and some eq an effects on the acoustics and some more punch on the snare .
I would love some more advice for the next version as this is way out of my comfort zone !

Cheers Big Grin

(01-01-2018, 10:54 AM)thedon Wrote:

Here is version 1

Cheers Big Grin

Hi Thedon! Smile

Have a nice day! Smile
Hi Matteo
Thanks for sharing your multi tracks of your great performance and your feedback !

I had a look at the session and did mute the lead and didn't do any eq or effects to the acoustic guitars Blush.
Uploading Version 2 with the vocals lower and some eq an effects on the acoustics and some more punch on the snare .
I would love some more advice for the next version as this is way out of my comfort zone !

Cheers Big Grin

Ok, this mix is better but there are some issues:
  • Acoustic guitars now are good, you only need to raise the bass frequencies and cut again on the high
  • I can't hear the toms, did you mix them or did you left them out of the mix?
  • Lead guitar track is missing again Sad
  • The backing vocals before the beginning of the last chorus are way too high, lower them alot! Like 5-6 db
  • I heard some clipping on some parts, try to add to the master bus a little bit of compression or put a Limiter in order to avoid clipping!

Cheers!
Check out my bands: 

Umbriferous - https://umbriferous.bandcamp.com/releases

Storm Of Particles - https://stormofparticles.bandcamp.com/releases
(01-01-2018, 11:43 AM)snabaz Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 10:54 AM)thedon Wrote:

Here is version 1

Cheers Big Grin

Hi Thedon! Smile

Have a nice day! Smile
Hi Matteo

Cheers Big Grin

Ok, this mix is better but there are some issues:
  • Acoustic guitars now are good, you only need to raise the bass frequencies and cut again on the high
  • I can't hear the toms, did you mix them or did you left them out of the mix?
  • Lead guitar track is missing again Sad
  • The backing vocals before the beginning of the last chorus are way too high, lower them alot! Like 5-6 db
  • I heard some clipping on some parts, try to add to the master bus a little bit of compression or put a Limiter in order to avoid clipping!

Cheers!
Thanks for having a listen ,here is another revision but needs some more work I think the lead vocals need to come up a touch more ? I tried to edit the tom tracks but need more work ,I'm currently downloading the files again and hopefully the midi files will help make a difference with the toms.
I will come back to this track and have another shot after a little more practice !
Thanks for your help Big Grin
Cheers Big Grin

Just listened to V3.

It sounds a bit... cloudy. Muffled. Did you low pass the whole mix?
(04-01-2018, 04:40 PM)Judders Wrote: Just listened to V3.

It sounds a bit... cloudy. Muffled. Did you low pass the whole mix?
Thanks for having a listen just used a difference reference ,The poison CD and you are right way too muffled compared to that !

Uploaded another mix I might come back to this one before I go more mad lol !

Cheers Big Grin

Much better, good balances and definition, but could use more bass and body in there.
This starts to sound like it's ready to be printed on CD.

It definitely need more body as Judders says.

Also i'd say the stereo width seems to be a bit... flattened.
What I personnaly use to enhance that is a soft multiband compressor working on mid/side setting. It also provides more clarity and energy to me mix. This thing is kinda magic.
Sound Engineer @ MegamocheProd
Working on Cubase 9.5 Pro
Gear : Yamaha HS-7 // Sennheiser HD-25 // BeyerDynamics MMX-300 // Steinberg UR22 MKII
(05-01-2018, 08:17 PM)jugx Wrote: This starts to sound like it's ready to be printed on CD.

It definitely need more body as Judders says.

Also i'd say the stereo width seems to be a bit... flattened.
What I personnaly use to enhance that is a soft multiband compressor working on mid/side setting. It also provides more clarity and energy to me mix. This thing is kinda magic.
Thanks for having a listen ,yes I will work on more body ,Thanks for the tips on the mid side multiband compression will have a play around with that !

Cheers Big Grin