Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
thelvnguage: 'Kings And Queens' kapu mix
This didn't go so well. ^_^

.m4a    thelvnguage_ \'Kings And Queens\' kapu mix.m4a --  (Download: 9.28 MB)

.m4a    thelvnguage_ \'Kings And Queens\' kapu mix2.m4a --  (Download: 9.23 MB)

Sounds nice and punchy ,the kick sounds a touch boxy around 160hz area the hi hat bleed is a nightmare for me sounds a little too wooshy.

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(31-12-2017, 01:34 AM)thedon Wrote: Sounds nice and punchy [...]

Thanks! Yes there is lots of things that would need tweaking, but I think I'm going to leave it for now. ^_^
I like very much the basic idea of your mix which is built around that special vox sound, but I guess it’s not yet typical kapu-quality. Somehow the vox and the rest of the band don’t go together optimally. If you plan to open this someday, listen something from Pistepirkko 22. I’m sure it will give some new ideas how to combine weird vox sound with the space of groovy band sound.
(07-01-2018, 02:56 PM)Olli H Wrote: I like very much the basic idea [...]

Thanks! Mostly I found the drums very frustrating, especially the constant metallic ringing, and trying to eq it out basically killed the drum sound completely. I started working on a completely new mix, but quickly realized I was spiraling towards the same direction. ^_^
You managed drums very well despite recording Smile
Vox has too much compression although I feel level is good, just feel like it lacks some of dynamic.
Very good work, nice clarity.
Regards
Martin

(11-01-2018, 12:53 PM)Lethan Wrote: You managed drums very well [...]

Thanks! I treated the vocals with 'lyrics with pitch' attitude and not as 'singing', I kind of ditched the idea of dynamics. ^_^
(07-01-2018, 02:56 PM)Olli H Wrote: Pistepirkko 22. I’m sure it will give some new ideas how to combine weird vox sound with the space of groovy band sound.

I took a listen. Some interesting mix approaches in their presentation. Not sure how much this fits in with thelvnguage from a genre perspective, but I don't think this was behind your recommendation, more the principle?

Good shout. I presume you are in Finland.
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
Yeah. The low mids are heavy going here. Makes it muddy and mud is fatigue. So pitching the vocal where you did, which I think was the way to go to get the clarity and definition, ended up separating it from the mud of the band. Just needed to bring the rest of the band along with it. Their use of compression and mic choice, makes that an uphill struggle. The low mids are rich, the mid and trebles are harsh. Clearing the mud reveals the harshness. And keeping all the timbres balanced with each other is yet another wiggle i.e. warm Rhodes (they rolled the treble off too much and the cut resonates, just to make things more challenging) verses the bright rhythm guitar.

The mumbling bass guitar is contributing to the fatigue. I partially reamped mine and gave it more attack, but the automation on the reamp track runs too hot on occasion. Have to fight their own automation, which is all good fun.

There's also some arrangement issues which an impartial engineer and producer would address with consideration, which clutters the song up on occasion IMHO. There's one place in particular that has me looking for the exit.
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
(13-01-2018, 03:05 PM)Monk Wrote: I took a listen. Some [...]

There are some similarities to my ear between the two, although the connection isn't very strong. ^_^