Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ripe: '4 Out Of 10' kapu mix
(02-01-2018, 07:51 AM)Rook Wrote: Kapu [...]

Thanks! I kind of just chose one spot of the song where all instruments where present and set the levels, so no automation etc here. I'm probably not going to do a second pass, and will just leave it as is. ^_^
Good mix, but I can hear the compressor squashing everything a little too much.
The mix engineer has the last word in this forum. =)

(02-01-2018, 01:40 PM)kapu Wrote:
(02-01-2018, 07:51 AM)Rook Wrote: Kapu [...]

Thanks! I kind of just chose one spot of the song where all instruments where present and set the levels, so no automation etc here. I'm probably not going to do a second pass, and will just leave it as is. ^_^

(02-01-2018, 08:04 PM)Rootwitch Wrote: Good mix, but I [...]

That's just something I like very much, and can't help myself. Thanks anyways for pointing it out. ^_^
(03-01-2018, 02:09 AM)Rook Wrote: The mix engineer [...]

It depends. If feedback is 'on to something' I usually test it out, even if I'm not going to upload a new version. ^_^
Shortly, excellent! (I imported your mix to my DAW while I was finishin my mixing. So I’ve have heard it couple of times)

You have nicely made the live recording to sound like a studio recording.

Only thing that bothers me a bit when listening with headphones is the l-r-panned guitars. As they have a big role in this arrangement, now they are together quite restless. Energy is jumping back and forth from left to right. One trick which might solve that issue, is to use some sort of monomaker in guitar buss. For example if you make the guitar buss mono under 100-150 hz but still keep guitars hard panned, the result is much more relaxing to listen as the the low energy of guitars is not jumping between headphones. But still guitars would feel as if they are l-r-panned.

(07-01-2018, 03:38 PM)Olli H Wrote: Shortly, excellent! (I [...]

Thanks! The guitars are a bit jumpy, but I'm not too keen on ms-equing stuff on the mix, and it kind of satisfies my ADHD. Still, point taken. ^_^
Awesome sound, punchy and alive, the mix pumps in a pleasing and subtle way I love. Did you used transient designers for this effect or slow attack fast release settings in compressors?

Take care kapu
(07-01-2018, 03:38 PM)Olli H Wrote: Shortly, excellent! (I imported your mix to my DAW while I was finishin my mixing. So I’ve have heard it couple of times)

You have nicely made the live recording to sound like a studio recording.

Only thing that bothers me a bit when listening with headphones is the l-r-panned guitars. As they have a big role in this arrangement, now they are together quite restless. Energy is jumping back and forth from left to right. One trick which might solve that issue, is to use some sort of monomaker in guitar buss. For example if you make the guitar buss mono under 100-150 hz but still keep guitars hard panned, the result is much more relaxing to listen as the the low energy of guitars is not jumping between headphones. But still guitars would feel as if they are l-r-panned.

OlliH that's an interesting idea. That I might use for synth bass or trance pads in the future. My 5 cents regarding this one is use a mono delay and pan the return of the delay to the opposite side to bounce it and spread it a little bit. If done in a subtle way, it spreads the mono guitar and balances it in the opposite channel. You do it with both and end up like a 4 tracked guitar part, which sounds solid.
Thank you for putting this trick out here, these are the post that make this forum awesome!

(11-01-2018, 07:30 PM)javierpg84 Wrote: Awesome sound [...]

Thanks! Used mostly Cubase stock VintageCompressor (1176 style) with slow attack and fast release, and Cubase stock TubeCompressor with slow/driver type settings. ^_^