Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Jules King: Never Stop - mydogboris mix
Nice indie pop tune. Please feel free to comment on my mix. Wasn't sure how to handle those loops. Other than that, I'm happy with the way things came together.

.mp3    Never Stop (Mix 05).mp3 --  (Download: 5.81 MB)

New version...better bass management. Multi-band comp on bass to help tame the low notes (particularly during chorus when the bassist starts playing those 1/8th notes). I also incorporated a couple of new toys I purchased yesterday from UA. The Chandler Curve Bender is on the mix bus as is the Oxford Dynamic EQ and API 2500.

.mp3    Never Stop (V2).mp3 --  (Download: 5.81 MB)

Hi mdboris,

I like your use of effects, for me though, it's just sounding a bit bass light overall. I think some extra drive from the percussion parts would be beneficial also.

I hope this helps.
(28-12-2017, 12:11 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Hi mdboris,

I like your use of effects, for me though, it's just sounding a bit bass light overall. I think some extra drive from the percussion parts would be beneficial also.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, my V2 is definitely lighter on the bass than my first version. Perhaps I got a little over aggressive with the bass compression in the lowest band. I'm going to back off that a bit and try to find the sweet spot. I sometimes use Izotope Tonal Balance to give me hints as to whether or not I am bass light/heavy against popular reference tracks in a similar genre. While I don't usually mix with it on, I looked at it after I saw your comment and it is definitely on the lighter side of the range (V2). Yet my first mix was pushing the limits (on the bass heavy side). So somewhere in between should be right...good ears for noticing that!

Finally, could you clarify what you meant by "extra drive from the percussion parts"? The only percussion parts I have are the [numerous] hats, a single ride, and several cymbals. They all appear to be samples and therefore processed already (although I think I may have added some eq "air" and light compression). I hesitate to bring them up any louder in the mix as I like where they sit and I am very happy with the clarity and sheen on the overall mix. I'm sure you have something in mind as you obviously have a pretty good ear. Thanks, again, for your advice.

(28-12-2017, 01:13 PM)mydogboris Wrote: Finally, could you clarify what you meant by "extra drive from the percussion parts"? The only percussion parts I have are the [numerous] hats, a single ride, and several cymbals. They all appear to be samples and therefore processed already (although I think I may have added some eq "air" and light compression). I hesitate to bring them up any louder in the mix as I like where they sit and I am very happy with the clarity and sheen on the overall mix. I'm sure you have something in mind as you obviously have a pretty good ear. Thanks, again, for your advice.

It was just with the drums in general, snare and kick mainly. A slight level increase of 1-2dB maybe all it needs, for me anyway. I just felt the mix would benefit with more push in this area. Sorting out the bass will help also. Something to experiment with.
Here is another version (V3)...thanks to "Dangerous" for pointing out some areas for improvement. This version is MUCH stronger in the lower end...greater bass guitar presence and a slightly more aggressive parallel drum bus. Also, I went back and looked at everywhere I was cutting and noticed some alarming tendencies to cut in the lower mids which had a cumulative effect of taking away from the energy.

Anyway, take a listen and tell me if you think I am close. I'm going to have to wrap this up soon. After all, the funding ran out for this project the minute I sat down and downloaded the files :-)

.mp3    Never Stop (V3).mp3 --  (Download: 5.81 MB)