Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pray for the Rain Mix
Hi,

I am NB on this forum and also this is my first mix ever, I'd like to congratulate the group Nerve 9 for this beautiful song and for the oportunity to mix the song.

I don't own a studio monitors so all the mix was done on the headphones and earbuds Sad

As I am starting to learn about mixing I'd really appreciate any comments and points that would help me to understand my mistakes.

.mp3    Never Pray for the rain .mp3 --  (Download: 13.11 MB)

As mentioned I had to mix with the headphones but they boost low frequencies and I end up dialing down a lot of it, this new revision includes more base.
Any comment will be greatly appreciated.

I just made some tweaks on the mix add light sturation, lower in 1 db the low frequencies and adjust the balance for the 3rd trial.

.mp3    Pray for the rain _2.mp3 --  (Download: 13.03 MB)

.mp3    Pray for the Rain_3.mp3 --  (Download: 13.06 MB)

A little more tweaks to the vocals add some presence.

.mp3    Pray for the Rain_4.mp3 --  (Download: 13.07 MB)

Hi wmix - it's Thomas from Nerve 9 and thanks for mixing the track ! If this is your first mix, you have done a great job. I liked that you had made the lead vocal very present - it caught my ear right away. Nice ! I can offer you some suggestions you can take or leave:
1. Sibiliance and t's on the lead vocal were a little prominent at times. Perhaps a little more de-ess and try a bit of transient reduction / attack reduction for the t's. A little automation is needed too on some of the breaths.
2. A little more ambience/effects would help - at times, the mix sounded a little stark. Lead guitar, try some stereo delay etc.
3. I liked that you did a couple of creative edits in the verses to change it up - since I have listened to many mixes of our song, these stood out for me.
4. Maybe a bit heavy on the 1-2 kHz on the bass guitar - have you checked out the March 2015 mix rescue article? Super helpful if you are new to mixing !

Thanks again - keep on mixing !

Thomas
Thomas thank you for the time to listen and give me a invaluable feedback, it is true it was my first mix, I started to learn PT in December last year. When I first time listened to the song it hook me and what caught my attention was the lead vocal, what a voice so I focus on the lead vocal and contructed the mix around, now that I have more experience I will do the Mix again and follow your recommendatios and will post back here.

Thank you again for the multitracks and the oprtunity to mix, loved the song, I have been following your tracks on soundcloud and if one day you intend to release a new multitrack I would like to mix Just Say You'll Be Mine Smile

Wagner