Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Gökyüzü - Olli H
I wish i had understood something of the words.

.mp3    Gokyuzu-2017-12-10-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 7.78 MB)

.mp3    Gokyuzu-2017-12-11-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 7.78 MB)

The overall sound is great! I'd take down snare and vocals maybe a dB. But still, it sounds very good. The drums are quite with tricky this one. Everything else in the mix could be 'washed' with larger space effects, but the drums have strong 'signature sound' of a small room, so it makes fitting them hard. ^_^
Thanks,
Good point about small room sound in drums. And at the same time guitars had quite big space. That must have been the problem that I had while I was mixing: with these tracks it was difficult for me to make a somewhat coherent sound.

New version in post #1. I turned down about 3-4 dbs snare, kick and vox. No other changes.
(11-12-2017, 07:12 PM)Olli H Wrote: Thanks, [...]

I think the later version sounds superb! Now to just five star your mix so a certain zealotish person can start bashing it. ^_^
(11-12-2017, 09:27 PM)kapu Wrote:
(11-12-2017, 07:12 PM)Olli H Wrote: Thanks, [...]
I think the later version sounds superb!

Agreed -- great work Olli! In fact, it's so much better than the rough mix I put together for the preview mix (I sometimes have to do this when no mix is provided by the band) that I wondered whether you'd mind me using yours as the preview mix instead?

Cheers,

Mike S.
(12-12-2017, 02:56 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: Agreed -- great work Olli! In fact, it's so much better than the rough mix I put together for the preview mix (I sometimes have to do this when no mix is provided by the band) that I wondered whether you'd mind me using yours as the preview mix instead?

Cheers,

Mike S.

Thanks, and of course you can use my mix as preview mix, it would be an honour.

BTW, For some reason I don’t get any email notifications from this new server. I’ve checked also spam folders.

Hi Olli i can see why Mike wants to use your mix as the preview mix,well done.
Hey Olli, nice mix Smile. Im referencing on earbuds but sounds good to me, only thing i really noticed was that the esses of the vocal is a bit to loud, also the low mid of the vocals seems a bit raw, could be cool if you made some small cuts to the vocals since they are dominating a bit much vs the low mids in the rest of the music, also the kick could have a tiny more punch in the lowend? Otherwise i like the mix good job.
(13-12-2017, 06:28 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Olli i can see why Mike wants to use your mix as the preview mix,well done.

thanks
(19-12-2017, 11:35 PM)crownoise Wrote: Hey Olli, nice mix Smile. Im referencing on earbuds but sounds good to me, only thing i really noticed was that the esses of the vocal is a bit to loud, also the low mid of the vocals seems a bit raw, could be cool if you made some small cuts to the vocals since they are dominating a bit much vs the low mids in the rest of the music, also the kick could have a tiny more punch in the lowend? Otherwise i like the mix good job.

THanks for listening.

My main idea in this mix was NOT to make it too drums driven (partly because my main reference was one slow song from Bonnie Rait where drums were mixed pretty low). So, I wanted drums to be only supportive. But there's nothing wrong to make this song drums dominated. If I ever open this song again I might try that idea.

The main thing for me in this mix was the vox. I wanted it to be the leader (Singer with her band). That's why I made the vox as full as possible.