Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Szymon Skiba: Lets Dance - Ryans Mix
Hey!

Here's my mix of the song "Lets Dance" by Szymon Skiba. This was just a quick mix as I herd the song and liked it.

Check out my Soundcloud for all of my other work, and send me a message through Linkedin if you'd like any work to be done on your tracks, as I am doing a lot more mixing/mastering nowadays so would love to work on some more tracks.

Soundcloud - https://soundcloud.com/r_follett
Linkedin - https://www.linkedin.com/in/r-follett/

Cheers!

.mp3    Szymon Skiba- Lets Dance .mp3 --  (Download: 5.61 MB)

Cool effect on the intro guitar, it really builds up the tension to where the band kicks in well but, once the band kicks in the mix falls apart. The bass, while having a beefy tone, is way too loud in comparison to the rhythm guitars and completely overshadows them and lessens the impact. The drums are mostly attack and sound like they've all been hit with a compressor with a really slow release, the reverb is the only thing that gives them any sustain and they just don't work with this style (this kind of sound could be cool in an EDM track though with a bit of refinement).

The rhythm guitars are really scooped out in the mids and that's also a contributing factor as to why the bass is so dominant, I'd take whatever eq you're using off of those guitars and start from scratch and get the fader balance on an even keel with the bass first and foremost till the bass and guitars sound like one unit with the bass sitting under the guitar. From there try taking some 300-600 Hz out of the guitars, boosting some 1.6 khz on the bass to give it some definition, and highpass the guitars to 80-100 Hz to get it out of the way of the bass.

Cheers and hope this helps,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Hi! Mostly agree with dcp10200. I'm guessing, but it sounds a lot like a closed back / in-ear headphones mix, because it sounds actually quite ok with closed headphones. When I do headphone mixes I mostly get the traits mentioned: too snappy drum transients, too mid-scooped guitars and too much bass. In such case I'd suggest you revise and reference the sound with monitor speakers if possible. Anyway, in my case headphone mixes rarely sound ok with speakers, but speaker mixes tend to sound ok also with headphones. ^_^