Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here is my first shot at any kind of mix...
I've had the pleasure of seeing Remember Jones perform a few times. He really is a great singer/entertainer.

Just got Studio One 3 a few days ago.

Let me know what you think.

Kyle!
Hi !

Your mix is quite muddy, mainly because of the bass and the kick which are too loud. The vocals are very upfront while the instruments are probably too much behind. They sound a bit disconnected from each others.
Once you fix that you'll get a much cleaner and balanced mix.
(08-12-2017, 02:38 PM)Mandubien Wrote: Hi !

Your mix is quite muddy, mainly because of the bass and the kick which are too loud. The vocals are very upfront while the instruments are probably too much behind. They sound a bit disconnected from each others.
Once you fix that you'll get a much cleaner and balanced mix.

I listened on other speakers at work and it's much darker. Will have to try with my headphones at home. The Bose computer speakers my be coloring what I'm hearing.
Did you reference when mixing ? It's super important to make sure you make the right EQ moves, because speakers can color the sound, or maybe the room has a lot of reflections.
One thing to be said is the apparent ease of getting S1V3 to work. Very intuitive. So you created a song file for this. Did you master it as a project?
Make sure your computer is not adding any enhancements to your speakers. Trying to mix with system based audio enhancements is impossible, so make sure they are all disabled.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I'm using a M-Audio Delta 66 for audio IO through a Mackie 1604 just for signal routing. The speakers are Bose computer speakers...2 small speakers plus woofer.

Not using Windows audio for anything.

It sounded much different through my headphones.

Spent 3 hours yesterday doing a new mix...will probably toss that and start over fresh...learned much more on just how to navigate SO3.

Thanks for the feedback.
Also, as someone pointed out, there is a video on Youtube of Remember and the band performing the song as it was being recorded.

I'm using the video to place the instruments in the mix as if I were watching them perform live (to a point as it wasn't a stage setup). So the Strat is to the left, the Es-335 to the right.

I did notice that the oh percussion mics were picking up way too much of everything else. I want to hear the shaker in the mix, but everything else the mic picked up was as loud or louder than the shaker. The joys of recording the entire band live.
I agree with the comments above and am finding it muddy. I suspect your playback system is overly bright and exaggerating the treble which gives you a false understanding of what's happening in the daw so you end up over compensating. Consumer speakers are hyped. Best avoided. Same with a lot of headphones, it's a bit of a lottery.

Thanks for dropping by.
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
Again, still in learning mode for SO3.

Backing vocals still need some tuning.

Gonna give this one a break and come back to it after I've learned more.

So I purchased Mike's books. Skimming through enough to get the bigger picture.

With help of a gift card got myself a set of the PreSonus Eris 4.5 speakers at a reasonable price and def much better than what I had.

I started this some from scratch, I took his advice and cleaned up the tracks as best I could (blanking out a lot of the bleed. Judicious use of an expander to lower what couldn't be blanked. This made a major difference!

I started really listening to the lead vocal. Yes, large dynamic range over all, but on the start of verse four he gets much quieter. So again using advice from Mike's book, copied the lead vocal to a second track. Blanked out verse four on the main track, blanked out the all but verse four on the second track and modified the compression settings and gain so it was closer to the rest of the verses.

Went through the rest of the tracks in a similar fashion. Sounding decent to my ears. The guitars are sitting nice through most till the riffs in the middle. They need to bump up a bit....will look into how to do automation for that.

After that will go about adding a touch or reverb.

Will post this next mix sometime over the weekend.