Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UPDATE: Problem fixed, new second try
Semi-newbie problem here.

This upload doesn't sound as I finished it in Reaper. I froze all my tracks, then rendered the project as an MP3 and that process added reverb in addition to changing the sound slightly, for the worse.
I have plugins on the Master Track and it's almost like I'm getting those effects twice (reverb, saturation, EQ, HP and LP filters).

I've read the User's Guide and looked at a lot of videos trying to find out what I'm doing wrong, with no luck. Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated.

On the upside, I like this band and I'd go see them live if they ever came close.
The sonic quality was outstanding.

P.S. After listening to this on the player here, it doesn't sound quite as bad as it did when I rendered it and listened to the new track in Reaper. It still has a bit more reverb here, but not as much as in Reaper. I know rendering will alter the sound since it removes some information, perhaps I should hear that in another player, like MS Groove?

P.P.S. As it turns out, I was getting all my bus effects twice, since Reaper was applying them to the finished MP3 render. When I played the MP3 back but disabled all the bus effects, my problem went away.
Lessons learned: pay attention and trust your ears.

.mp3    Don\'t Put Me On Hold.mp3 --  (Download: 2.33 MB)

.mp3    Don\'t Put Me On Hold 2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.72 MB)

Hi ,I am going to mix this song when I find some spare time.
The 2.33mb file looks like it all tracks have rendered and compressed to low quality 96kbs .
If 320 doesn't sound any better try rendering as a wav without any plugins on the master bus ,then open up in new project and then add master plugins then render to 320kbs if not render the whole session as wav including master plugins and use an external mp3 converter to convert to 320 kbs.
I don't use Reaper, so can't say for sure, but it could be that you froze your source tracks, and the FX return tracks? Then, when bouncing, you get frozen source tracks, frozen FX tracks (reverbs etc) and also the still active FX sends from frozen source tracks basically doubling the amount of FX. Although you should be able to hear this when just playing the project, but if you froze the tracks and rendered straight away without auditioning the project after freezing, this could be the case.

Another possibility. If you encode to MP3 with less than 192kbps most encoders will use M/S processing. Basically this means your stereo image will be narrower, and certain types reverb/room/spatial effects will appear to 'rise up' in the center with slightly worse sound. ^_^
(07-12-2017, 06:35 AM)eclipseaudio Wrote: Hi ,I am going to mix this song when I find some spare time.
The 2.33mb file looks like it all tracks have rendered and compressed to low quality 96kbs .
If 320 doesn't sound any better try rendering as a wav without any plugins on the master bus ,then open up in new project and then add master plugins then render to 320kbs if not render the whole session as wav including master plugins and use an external mp3 converter to convert to 320 kbs.

Yes, I went with Reaper defaults to see how it would come out.

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll give that a try.
(07-12-2017, 01:04 PM)kapu Wrote: I don't use Reaper, so can't say for sure, but it could be that you froze your source tracks, and the FX return tracks? Then, when bouncing, you get frozen source tracks, frozen FX tracks (reverbs etc) and also the still active FX sends from frozen source tracks basically doubling the amount of FX. Although you should be able to hear this when just playing the project, but if you froze the tracks and rendered straight away without auditioning the project after freezing, this could be the case.

Another possibility. If you encode to MP3 with less than 192kbps most encoders will use M/S processing. Basically this means your stereo image will be narrower, and certain types reverb/room/spatial effects will appear to 'rise up' in the center with slightly worse sound. ^_^

One of Reaper's options for rendering tracks is to "freeze track then mute original," which is how I did it.

I did go back and listen to the frozen tracks and they sounded OK. just like the original. I wonder if the LAME encoder I use could be the problem. Cockos has a link to a different one in the User's Guide, which I installed, but Reaper wouldn't see it, so I had to use the old one I have that Audacity recommends. I'm fairly certain that one is a 32-bit app and I try to run nothing but 64-bit in Reaper to match my laptop.

Thanks for your input.
These are problems you do not find in other commercial DAWS.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(08-12-2017, 09:07 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: These are problems you do not find in other commercial DAWS.

I've never had it happen to me and Reaper is my main DAW. I render out by using the key command and I never knew you could freeze tracks and render in that way actually Big Grin.
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(08-12-2017, 09:07 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: These are problems you do not find in other commercial DAWS.

Reaper is all I can afford.
Listening to your mix on headphones at the moment ,The esses on the vocals are popping out of the mix a touch around the 6-11k area.
As kapu and others have mentioned can hear a lot of mp3 compression artefacts especially in the high frequencies and especially in the side channels.
I have uploaded your mix with only the side channels using this awesome free plugin in mute mid mode ,and also a great tool for comparing what's going on against reference mixes in the side channels ! http://www.alexhilton.net/A1AUDIO/index....reocontrol
I have tried many different Daws and reaper is awesome !
I do render my mix as a wav and use this free Xmedia recode to convert to mp3 at 320
which works for me anyway !
here is a xmedia recode link which I have tested out and works great !
http://www.freewarefiles.com/downloads_c...yModaldurl
Just click on External Download Link 1

Cheers Big Grin

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    Don_\'t Put Me On Hold-MR Groove side channel..mp3 --  (Download: 7.79 MB)

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(09-12-2017, 08:41 AM)thedon Wrote: Listening to your mix on headphones [...]

Again, I'm not Reaper user, but if I remember correctly, you can monitor side channel directly with Reapers built-in functions. From the master section, where you can downmix to mono, you can also choose between mid and side signal. Or if not, just downmix to mono, and then flip the phase of right (or left) channel. This of course happens before the encoding when working with the project, so if you want to check encoded files you of course have to (decode and) import them first. ^_^