Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rescue Me - Advice welcome!
New here. This is my first mix of well-recorded stuff. I've mixed a couple of CD's worth of my band's (very amateur) recordings, so this is a nice change Smile

Would love advice/suggestions as I'm very much still trying to learn.

Thanks!

.mp3    Rescue Me.mp3 --  (Download: 9.79 MB)

This is an interesting take and approach. You seem to have established good sounds for each of your groups (drums, bass, guitars, vocals, mando). The lead guitar on the left seems to be highly disconnected from the rest of your groups. It sounds pretty good, but musically disconnected. There is a lot of emotion in this song and it leads the composition and with sounds starting out as well as you have presented them, you could enhance those emotions more with your mix. You've got the technical now let's hear your creative take on the emotional. The SONG.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(06-12-2017, 02:12 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: This is an interesting take and approach. You seem to have established good sounds for each of your groups (drums, bass, guitars, vocals, mando). The lead guitar on the left seems to be highly disconnected from the rest of your groups. It sounds pretty good, but musically disconnected. There is a lot of emotion in this song and it leads the composition and with sounds starting out as well as you have presented them, you could enhance those emotions more with your mix. You've got the technical now let's hear your creative take on the emotional. The SONG.

Thanks for the reply!

You're right that the electric is a bit disconnected. I was a little worried about that before posting. Should have gone and listened to a few others' takes first - but didn't want to color how I did it before I gave it a go. I used some light plate reverb on vocals, mando and guitar, hoping that the room mics would give enough reverb to glue it together, but listening back after listening to a few other versions around here, seems I could have used a little extra room verb to glue things together.

I see you're a Studio One user. Is there a simple way to reverse channels on the verbs in the box? To help the channels feel less isolated? Or do you apply a mono verb or something?

Also - good advice about the emotional part of it. I've spent so long trying to get decent at the technical I missed that part. I just realized I never went back took a last pass at riding volumes on the tracks, which would have helped that, I think. What other things do you do to help out with the emotional aspects?
(06-12-2017, 03:53 PM)kilishan Wrote:
(06-12-2017, 02:12 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: This is an interesting take and approach. You seem to have established good sounds for each of your groups (drums, bass, guitars, vocals, mando). The lead guitar on the left seems to be highly disconnected from the rest of your groups. It sounds pretty good, but musically disconnected. There is a lot of emotion in this song and it leads the composition and with sounds starting out as well as you have presented them, you could enhance those emotions more with your mix. You've got the technical now let's hear your creative take on the emotional. The SONG.

I see you're a Studio One user. Is there a simple way to reverse channels on the verbs in the box? To help the channels feel less isolated? Or do you apply a mono verb or something?

Also - good advice about the emotional part of it. I've spent so long trying to get decent at the technical I missed that part. I just realized I never went back took a last pass at riding volumes on the tracks, which would have helped that, I think. What other things do you do to help out with the emotional aspects?

Not sure what you mean by 'reverse channels'. Can you explain?

The emotional part is entirely subjective and also may be context sensitive (age of the listener). What do you get when listening to the lyrics of the song? Can you translate that into your mix as the emotion swells and retreats according to the lyric and phrasing?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(06-12-2017, 10:18 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Not sure what you mean by 'reverse channels'. Can you explain?

I meant swap the left and right channels. The goal is to get reverb for items in the left channel on the right to fill out the sound (hopefully) without muddying up the stuff on the left too much. I know the IR verb in Logic had a switch for that.

I just realized that one of the tools in S1 will let you do that. MixTool, IIRC. Will have to look into that later this evening.
(07-12-2017, 05:17 AM)kilishan Wrote:
(06-12-2017, 10:18 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Not sure what you mean by 'reverse channels'. Can you explain?

I meant swap the left and right channels. The goal is to get reverb for items in the left channel on the right to fill out the sound (hopefully) without muddying up the stuff on the left too much. I know the IR verb in Logic had a switch for that.

I just realized that one of the tools in S1 will let you do that. MixTool, IIRC. Will have to look into that later this evening.

I think you can also pan your sends to any of the built-in S1 reverbs. You can also effectively eliminate one side of your effects by just panning the return hard opposite where you have the guitar.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]