Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salon 8: 'Gökyüzü' kapu mix
I think I got a nice Metallica - St. Anger sound of the drums. ^_^

.m4a    salon_8-__gokyuzu__kapu_mix.m4a --  (Download: 8.09 MB)

.m4a    Salon 8_ \'Gökyüzü\' kapu mix2.m4a --  (Download: 8.09 MB)

You went a bit crazy with aggressive settings.

Verses go fine, but something odd happens in choruses, probably caused by mastering. As if heavy mid compression is bringin up sides too much.

Also snare seems to sidechain overheads a bit too much. Listen for example guitar solo. Cymbals go down too much with each snare hits. Well, it gives room to snare, but it also affects the groove.

(10-12-2017, 05:28 PM)Olli H Wrote: You went a bit crazy [...]

Thanks for feedback! Well, I kind of accidentally ended up smashing the drum bus, and for a moment it sounded like the horrible drums of St. Anger, so I then left it that way. Trying to learn new DAW here, so I'm probably going to put out a whole bunch of crappy solutions in the near future. ^_^
What is your new DAW?
(10-12-2017, 07:39 PM)Olli H Wrote: What is your new DAW?

Cubase. Although every DAW basically has the same set of features, for me Logic and Cubase are the only ones that could be titled as complete music production software. I'm not totally unfamiliar with Cubase, but it's been so many years since I've really used it, so basically I'm trying to re-learn everything from scratch. ^_^
(10-12-2017, 05:28 PM)Olli H Wrote: You went a bit crazy [...]

Had to double-check things, but didn't find anything related to mid/side processing, although the Cubases ambiguous master Optimizer might have something to do with it. Anyways, ended up doing a new mix, trying to imitate your work. ^_^
This time I didn’t find any major issues, so you must be already know your Cubase well-enough

Excellent vox sound.

Nice idea that telephone effect with guitar in intro and in the middle. Actually it could have been a good idea also to the outro.

Only the bass sound in verses bothers me a bit, but not much. Is it too loud or is it too separate from the groove.
(14-12-2017, 12:53 PM)Olli H Wrote: This time I didn’t [...]

Thanks. Cubase seems to have very nice plugins/presets for music, and the stock DeEsser really is one of those 'automagic' processors which just work. Maybe it's my biased bass player ear, but I (among other things) always struggle setting the bass level; when I think it's okay, it's usually way too loud. ^_^
Before i started reading others comments i noticed the Bass in the verses seems too prominent in tone(or level). So Olli. Mix is great, nice guitars tone and vocal. Perhaps Kick is too strong for this genre.
In general pleasure to listen to. Smile
(15-01-2018, 05:53 PM)Lethan Wrote: Before i started [...]

Thanks! Maybe bass could benefit from automatin the level a dB here and there. ^_^