Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Wind - Fergessen
This is my first mix. I took a week-long class a few weeks ago on ProTools and got hooked. I wanted to find session tracks to practice mixing and came across this site. This was the first set of tracks I could get to download correctly, and despite some difficulty with the quality of some of the tracks I stuck with it for my first attempt. Feel free to criticize, I'm here to learn.

.mp3    The Wind.mp3 --  (Download: 2.82 MB)

Welcome to the fun. You chose a difficult one to start with. It sounds pretty "muddy" on my system. One suggestion for future reference is to use a higher sample rate on your mp3 conversion. Looking forward to hearing more.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
(24-07-2013, 03:26 PM)bmullen Wrote: Welcome to the fun. You chose a difficult one to start with. It sounds pretty "muddy" on my system. One suggestion for future reference is to use a higher sample rate on your mp3 conversion. Looking forward to hearing more.

Thanks! I am also at a disadvantage because I'm mixing with headphones, and I'm sure that creates problems. Thanks for the tips, I'll try and clean it up.
Ok,
I've gone through and remixed. You were totally right on the mud, rested ears heard it right away. I tried to clean that up a bit. Now I'm wondering if I have the vocals too far forward? Anyway, I did an a/b with my old mix and this is much clearer - is it too brittle? Thanks for the response!

.mp3    The Wind - take 3.mp3 --  (Download: 2.83 MB)

Welcome lowstring.I found you have a big gap on mids in your second version!You need to work the balance too!
Very difficult song to mix dude, you have balls Tongue
well, I've gone back to the first song I mixed and gave it another try. I didn't listen to it again, but decided (like I usually like to do) to go from scratch and see how different/new I end up. I'm hoping that I've improved, but who knows? Comments/criticisms are welcome as always, and thanks for listening.

.mp3    The Wind 11-22-13.mp3 --  (Download: 2.86 MB)

Thanks! I am also at a disadvantage because I'm mixing with headphones, and I'm sure that creates problems. Thanks for the tips, I'll try and clean it up.
[/quote]

Haaa it all depends how good your headphones are.. they are coming more and more accurate with very flat frequency and very wide range... I use Focal Mixing Pro Headphones and I tell you ... it will beat some very good monitors out there...
Check my mix with headphones .. besides some of the tracks downloads sounds bit hot and some comes with distortion on them..

.mp3    The Wind.mp3 --  (Download: 2.93 MB)

Sounds a bit small and overcompressed to me - the kick seems to be sucking the life out of everything else. Maybe ease back a lot on the drum compression but use parallel compression to give them punch? I think this song needs to sound quite spacious and epic (I'm thinking bands like Arcade Fire or Besnard Lakes), so would personally go for a bit more delay and reverb, especially on the vocals. Or bring the vocals down a tiny bit? They stick out a bit too much, I think.
Yeah the voc is too upfront but the problem here is there's just too much lower mids going on, the bass is drowning out everything else. Think it needs some drastic eq cuts. Snare is lost too. But like gopener said, very tricky song to mix. Sounds like your gtrs and voc are pretty good so there's a basis for a good mix. And I bet it sounds better than my first mix!