Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Szymon Skiba: 'Let's Dance' kapu mix
Tried to apply some aggression. Almost went BFG Division. ^_^

.m4a    szymon_skiba-__let_s_dance__kapu_mix2.m4a --  (Download: 6.25 MB)

Added second version with some synth stuff and tweaks, more dronish bass etc. ^_^
I like the synth, it adds another level of intensity to the outro section and amps up the BFG intro (it sounds like the soundtrack to a big budget action movie!), however I find myself losing interest in it during the sections in between, it's one of those things that needs to punctuate a section rather than being the main focus or if it is going to be the focus, add layers to it and make changes to the sound being used so it's not just an Arp or a pad throughout. Listen to how Mark uses synths in that intro to BFG Division and then how they drop out after the intro ends to let the band take over, granted that song is 8 minutes long, but those movements are what makes that track so aggressive and intense, empty space followed by absolute chaos!

From a mix standpoint it sounds great! The second version has more low end overall and it feels more solid. The guitars seem to have less of the honkiness that the original had and gels with the bass more. The kick also seems to have less 3-8 kHz and fits more with the rest of the kit, what sample pack did you use? Overall mix 2 is much better sounding from a mix perspective, the synths are more of an A e s t h e t i c (forced meme intensifies! XD) thing but otherwise it sounds great!

Cheers,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(04-12-2017, 10:33 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: I like the synth, [...]

Thanks for feedback! The synth is still at an 'idea' stage at moment; good hear it added something. For me it's actually linked to the guitar tone. If can't get the high frequencies right (to my taste) I tend to mess up the guitar tone leaving too much mids. Especially if it's an instrumental were the vocals don't 'rule' overall sound.

The kick is blend of the original kick and Perfect Drums first kick, although I'd say the tone comes from relatively shorter attack time for compressor, than usually for kick, and then driven against clipper. ^_^
(01-12-2017, 08:57 AM)kapu Wrote: Tried to apply some aggression. Almost went BFG Division. ^_^

-------------

Kapu........mix 2 is killer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow!

Tom

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
(28-12-2017, 08:09 PM)tjmtruth Wrote: -------------

Kapu........mix 2 is killer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow!

Tom

Thanks! Nice to hear it works for you. I'm also very satisfied with the sound. It has a nice headbanging vibe. ^_^