Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Monk Remembers Jones
Loved the vibe and energy of the instruments. I kept the dynamics as best I could, so turning it up should make it come alive.

The difference in mic address made the lady's difficult for me to place, especially with consistency.

The lead vocal was too into the groove to avoid the pitfalls of huge proximity boosts and pops and loudness, so I changed the concept and made a telephone effect and muted the rest. I wonder if they should have let him hold the mic instead as some people need to move. MC's are classic.

I know the organ is a bit hot in that one spot. Blush It can be tamed without losing it in the mix. Thanks everyone for pointing that out to me Tongue

Before the Gates of Hell open up and consume me, I also don't go a bundle on one of the guitars I adjusted Big Grin

Just observing generally, I've noticed that not many return feedback when it's given, so rather than be taken advantage of, I promise I will return your time and commitment in equal measure. Angel

I've had a quick hunt for the frequency response curves for the mics used in this performance but it seems Telefunken don't make this an easy job. Has anyone researched this?

.m4a    RJonesHold-MonkMix (s22).m4a --  (Download: 10.23 MB)

"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
I'd like feedback please, and I will return it in an honest and forthright way.

This mix has been advanced, having found some time and energy to revisit it. There was so much to have to keep an ear and eye on I found it a fantastic, though sometimes exhausting exercise because of the amount of quite intense concentration. This is about as far as it goes, without automating parameters other than gain, which I actually started to do.

.m4a    RJonesHold-MonkMix s27.m4a --  (Download: 10.22 MB)

"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
I like the telephone effect on the lead vocal.

To me the drums are too wide in the stereo field and I can't hear the kick. There is a lot of snare bottom and not enough snare top.

Mix up the stereo placement on everything else so it has a place. I looked at the video and used that as a bit of a guide.

Otherwise, keep going!
(12-12-2017, 05:26 PM)kjedrusiak Wrote: To me the drums are too wide in the stereo field and I can't hear the kick. There is a lot of snare bottom and not enough snare top.

Mix up the stereo placement on everything else so it has a place. I looked at the video and used that as a bit of a guide.

Otherwise, keep going!

The OH and Tom busses were panned 50 percent L/R, though the Toms are actually more complicated than that because of the way I've processed them. Their fundamentals are significantly narrower, at 25 percent. So, what is too wide? If you think they are too wide for this song, it might be helpful suggesting an alternative, and your reasoning.

Headphone listeners will have a different perspective about width. A general statement "too wide", doesn't help me make a judgement call.

Sorry Kyle, the kick wasn't mixed for translation over small speakers. Blush

The snare was mixed with a tighter skin and a different microphone (no sample). I didn't like the resonance on the original and didn't suit my vision.

I had a vision about instrument placement, and implemented it in the stereo domain. Trust me, everything has it's place right down to the guy on the phone Wink

Thanks for stopping by.