Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think?
I started mixing hip hop but i would like to get experience in every genre i can so i tried one on this song, please let me know what you think

.mp3    Rescue Me.mp3 --  (Download: 9.88 MB)

Hi! Well, from what I hear you definitely have a hip hop background. The amount of sub bass energy is perhaps too much. With modern hip hop you can do this because you can control it very precisely, as the source of bass energy is usually (slightly saturated) sine wave or some other synthetic element. But with more natural sources you will get 'loose and floppy', if the low end is enhanced extensively. And it also leads to complementing the vast bass with boosting the highs, again which you can do with hip hop as the high mostly come from fast transients like short hihats etc. But here the high frequency energy is more constant, and starts to sound fatiguing. So you could aim for flatter overall sound. In a musical sense the mix feels good, and all the key elements are in their places, and it doesn't sound bad, but you should definitely revise the overall frequency balance. Keep up the good work! ^_^
So aim for a flatter sound with real instruments and dont push alot of bass into the kicks and bass guitar. Does that sum it up? and thank you for your time btw
(28-11-2017, 08:07 PM)Eyrc Wrote: So aim for a flatter [...]

That's pretty much it. Although a more general advise would be to aim for cleaning the unwanted frequencie areas and slightly boosting the essential areas, if you're trying to get the most out of the source tracks and do a vanilla mix.