Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pray for the rain (pmilani)
I'm not kidding, it worked. I spent good part of yesterday mixing this song, and since tonight it has actually been raining nonstop :O

Great song, the arrangement / production work from Mike is really amazing, the song has definitely a good feel from the start, just bringing faders up.
Love the vocal harmonies and the lead vox is creamy and gentle.

Here is my attempt. https://soundcloud.com/pmilani/nerve9-pray-for-the-rain
(also attached an AAC version here)

Moving on... I guess I need to mix something like Sunshine Reggae now Wink

.m4a    Nerve9_PrayForTheRain-mix1.m4a --  (Download: 13.17 MB)

Hi pmilani

Thanks for mixing the track ! Very bold with the reverb choice - cavernous, but something about it worked for me.

Liked the balance overall, effect choices. - key things I can pass on to you - it sounds a little like the lead vocal is being masked a bit - sounds a bit muddy. Snare perhaps too - a little on the boxy side. The kick drum felt a little low as well.

Thanks again !

Thomas
Hey there. After so much time I decided to remake this mix from scratch. Particularly I've come to understand that my untreated room is getting on the way of me improving, I have upgraded my old cans to some good headphones (Sennheiser HD 650), and that seems to be helping in getting better mixes.

Mix attached and also updated the original soundcloud link.

.mp3    Nerve9_PrayForTheRain-mix2.mp3 --  (Download: 13.13 MB)

Hi,

Your new mix sounds much better, so the new cans are definitely helping. I suffer from bad room, nice cans too (HD 600's), but I've discovered it's best to mix mostly with the monitors at various levels and do more critical adjustments with the headphones. Seems to work alright for me, anyway.

I liked the reverb in the first version, but that's all subjective. I also like how you kept the laid back feel throughout in both versions. I did hear a bit of a crackle that caught mt attention around the 3:50 mark, give or take a few seconds and some slight center build up in some of the guitar solo sections.

All in all, very nice mix.