Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ghost Note: 'Ja Make Ya Dance' kapu mix
Overheads felt a bit too wide. ^_^

.m4a    ghost_note-__ja_make_ya_dance__kapu_mix.m4a --  (Download: 11.99 MB)

Not sure I understand the reverb on the flute. Other than that the balances are good and the power is there. Personally just a bit too wet for my liking.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(24-11-2017, 05:14 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Not sure I understand [...]

Thanks! The flute reverb was some 5 sec preset I thought had a nice surreal feel. The chamber track sounded nice to me, and relied more to it. Then had to apply some reverb to the more dry elements to make them fit better. But yes, it's definitely a wetter mix. ^_^
Funny! I had exactly the same idea with the long reverb on the flute. Smile
But before I heard yours, I swear! Smile

And by the way: A very good punchy mix!

At the beginning of the Bass Drum I hear a distortion!?

(29-11-2017, 06:22 PM)jphrameau Wrote: Funny! I had exactly the [...]

Thanks! The first few kick hits sound like they have some distortion sounding rattling artefacts, but couldn't do anything about it. In my case they're probably more audible because I used more close mics than overheads. Thank you for feedback. ^_^
Hello everyone,

Ah, the psychoacoustics of loudness. Gosh, this is loud. The hyper compression you have here in abundance, isn't synonymous with "punch", it must be said. I'd also suggest it isn't synonymous with this genre.

After a little struggle, I managed to work out how to post an image. I do hope it really helps someone.

Also take note where it says "Reconstructed peaks above 0dBFS". This should be empty.

The time I've taken getting this image up, I'll keep the post to one more observation. The first section isn't right because you have the right channel louder than the left. Ambiance never happens like this. Ever. Unless you stick a finger in one ear. You need it to be equal here. But if you want the flute panned to the right (I'd ask why), then you somehow need to make sure the loss of amplitude in the left channel is somehow compensated for.

I don't know about you, but I felt the vast ambiance and floaty, surreal flute misled me about the concept of the song as a whole. It was a contradiction, a thing of two disassociated parts which didn't make a lot of sense. I don't think I'd want to come up with a vision for that, so well done for trying.

Thumbnail(s)

(06-12-2017, 10:44 AM)Max Headroom Wrote: Hello everyone, [...]

There, hope it look better on your meters. ^_^

.m4a    not-so-loud.m4a --  (Download: 11.69 MB)