Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rescue Me second mix on Monitors
As I mentioned in my re mix of Promises and Lies I've changed up my monitoring situation and I'm actually using studio monitors now. This is really my first mix on them but I just rendered it out now. I've also started using exclusively RMS (VU) metering rather than peak and I haven't mastered this track so you'll need to crank it up abit. What do you guys think?

.mp3    Mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.85 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
congrats on the new monitors. Can I ask what they are?

Wrestling with the guitar resulted in many mixers placing the group into wet spaces in order to find some kind of acceptable place for all of the parts. I cannot say it works here. You are losing the drums and the low end especially in the wash. And the guitar still hurts. That is not your fault. If I was the band leader I'd take the guitar player out into the yard and hit him repeatedly in the head with his guitar. The guitar sound is almost an embarrassment, in my opinion. Again, not your fault. I have not yet heard a great treatment for this awful guitar part.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(16-11-2017, 03:05 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: congrats on the new monitors. Can I ask what they are?

Wrestling with the guitar resulted in many mixers placing the group into wet spaces in order to find some kind of acceptable place for all of the parts. I cannot say it works here. You are losing the drums and the low end especially in the wash. And the guitar still hurts. That is not your fault. If I was the band leader I'd take the guitar player out into the yard and hit him repeatedly in the head with his guitar. The guitar sound is almost an embarrassment, in my opinion. Again, not your fault. I have not yet heard a great treatment for this awful guitar part.

Thanks, my monitors are the Yorkville YSM6. I've actually had them for about 4 years but never had the floor space to set them up until recently when I setup my studio desk (Yorkville SD 2). I really don't get your distain for the guitar, how is it "hurting"? This isn't a metal track or very fast and the reverb on the guitar adds this cool space to the track rather than just a dry, more plain sounding crunch tone. I added a gated verb to the snare and toms but I'll probably leave that out in my next pass, I was going for a more 80's pop sound on the drums but it's a little too much.

Cheers,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(16-11-2017, 05:24 PM)dcp10200 Wrote:
(16-11-2017, 03:05 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:

Thanks, my monitors are the Yorkville YSM6. I've actually had them for about 4 years but never had the floor space to set them up until recently when I setup my studio desk (Yorkville SD 2). I really don't get your distain for the guitar, how is it "hurting"? This isn't a metal track or very fast and the reverb on the guitar adds this cool space to the track rather than just a dry, more plain sounding crunch tone. I added a gated verb to the snare and toms but I'll probably leave that out in my next pass, I was going for a more 80's pop sound on the drums but it's a little too much.

Cheers,
Doug

Doug,
My disdain for the guitar was not knowing what to do with it! I was just venting my frustration. I did come to peace with it last night and posted up my results. I thinks it is one of my best passes. And the guitar soars.

Signed,
No longer frustrated, MITC.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]