Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mozart 12 piano concerto - Voelund
What a thrill for the ear to mix classical music and not bad players at all
Flipped phase on most of the tracks, compared to "main" it sounded more full to my ears
Lo cut 6dB various frequencies most tracks and bass track had some very unpleasant "Ooomph" probably the wooden floor and bas mic stand too close to piano, or some construction flaw on the stage ;-)
Anyway after that treatment bass notes sounded more clear
And thats it, phase, gentle lo cut and little surgery to bas track, balancing
The woodwind spill, especially on low notes are all over the place, I tried to fix it but no luck so I choose to let it be
If you have any suggestions Im more than pleased to try them out
Oh yes, I had two very gentlet Master bus compressors goin, more for the sound they produce doin "nothin"

All best !

Niels

.mp3    Mozart 12 02.mp3 --  (Download: 23.85 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Very Nice Niels,
Your approach seems to be very similar to mine. I like the clarity and the natural sound. Maybe a little more bottom end would be nice though (sub 100Hz), but I know this is challenging. I found out myself, when I played around with high pass filtering on the individual tracks that it became a very reactive process interfering with the low end balance of the other tracks and the mix as a whole. I ended up dropping the high pass filtering as low as possible 20-30hz on the individual tracks and found this helped overall with a consistent bass response across the performance without the need of additional processing.

Well Done
I added a mid-side EQ and dropped 20 and 53 on the sides only. Pretty much the only thing I did. Even panning loses valuable low end which fills this hall so nicely.

Your take is richly dynamic with the sectional mics and nicely balanced. I'd like to hear your take with less hall.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
This sounds excellent, Niels - even as a web stream. I bet it's killer qualty listening on the DAW.
I really must have a shot at this one.
Please consider becoming a patron of Cambridge Music Technology to help Mike keep this Awesome Educational Site Alive! -- https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts
(15-11-2017, 11:09 AM)Voelund Wrote: Lo cut 6dB various frequencies most tracks and bass track had some very unpleasant "Ooomph" probably the wooden floor and bas mic stand too close to piano, or some construction flaw on the stage ;-)

Also, if you listen to the piano during it's solo, there's some <100Hz bass rumbling despite the lack of notation in the phrasing.

Quote:The woodwind spill, especially on low notes are all over the place, I tried to fix it but no luck so I choose to let it be
If you have any suggestions Im more than pleased to try them out

Try this:

Both mid/side EQ notches, with a Q to suit your needs.

You could choose to automate the parameters on both channels separately to achieve the necessary balance and perspective, and even help provide some added dynamic to the performance. Check in mono and stereo on the master buss with headphones to ensure nothing's gone skew whiff in the depth and/or stereo panorama and that your moves are entirely transparent. Done Wink

If you don't have access to m/s plugins, it's a good experience to DIY the m/s routing so you can drop in normal EQ plugs.

I've yet to hear any mix that has this fixed, but it's fixable.

Nice mix going on here. I like your taste.
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
Thank you all for responding.
I chose following my instinct and let the main mics have the lions
share of the soundscape. The ambience you hear are probably due
to the impulse response I often USD, a small dutch church with lots
of wood and to my taste goin more in a wet direction especially when
it comes to classical music I find it benefits musically from the longer
Decay.
For the woodwind frequencies I Will try your suggestion probably just
one eq over the Master buss bug I have a M/S setup in my old DAW and
will experiment with that too.
Thank you for the responses !
All best.

Niels
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(26-11-2017, 03:05 PM)Voelund Wrote: Thank you all for responding.
I chose following my instinct and let the main mics have the lions
share of the soundscape. The ambience you hear are probably due
to the impulse response I often USD, a small dutch church with lots
of wood and to my taste goin more in a wet direction especially when
it comes to classical music I find it benefits musically from the longer
Decay.
For the woodwind frequencies I Will try your suggestion probably just
one eq over the Master buss bug I have a M/S setup in my old DAW and
will experiment with that too.
Thank you for the responses !
All best.

Niels

Niels,
This is spot on: "Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order". Got a great chortle out it and then said to myself, there ain't nothing wrong with our gear or ears, old or not. Then I said a word of praise for the ability to stay creative. Thanks for the smile.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]