Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Amy Helm & The Handsome Strangers: Rescue Me (Robert's Mix)
Another interesting set of tracks with interesting 'challenges' from Telefunken. The FOH guys /girls here should be well used to to the 'bleedin' problems' associated with live sound - so for those who haven't had that experience (yet), this song is a great way to get the general 'feel'. I wanted to keep this one sounding fairly live - but there was a lot of track prep-work involved first. All comments welcome.

.mp3    Rescue Me - 12-Nov-2017.mp3 --  (Download: 9.79 MB)

Please consider becoming a patron of Cambridge Music Technology to help Mike keep this Awesome Educational Site Alive! -- https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts
Hi Robert ,
Sounds great ,Your Live mixing skills have definitely payed off with this mix ,I'm thinking the vocals could come up a touch but I know why you kept them at that level due to the excessive bleed !
I also have had the pleasure of mixing old school non digital live front of house on small and large venues ,Probably not as much as you have as usually played keys or bass on stage which is a complete different sound of what the audience is hearing using fold back or in ear monitors . I Always found the larger ones easier to blend the drums and amps than smaller gigs where sometimes only had to put less of everything else and mostly vocals and some kick and snare through the front of house .Playing on larger stages with the band spread apart never sounded as good as the band being huddled together on a smaller stage,
Either way unless you are a musician listening to all details in playing or a audio nut like me listening out for balance or room problems ,Even though it makes a huge difference to the sound ,Live mixing is more forgiving as most people are not focusing on the quality of the mix as there is usually so much going on with the visual ,feel and atmosphere compared to one of us sitting in front of monitors focusing on the sound !

Sorry for the ramble
I feel better now lol
Well Done Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Quote:Live mixing is less forgiving as most people are not focusing on the quality of the mix as there is usually so much going on with the visual ,feel and atmosphere compared to one of us sitting in front of monitors focusing on the sound !

Sorry for the ramble
I feel better now lol
Well Done Big Grin

As a live sound mixer, I think I need to disagree with your statement here, "Live sound is less forgiving..." My experience is that live sound is much more forgiving in the fact that it is temporal. Once played it is gone forever. You can't look back and analyze it. It is fleeting. Recorded music, on the other hand, and what we are doing here, is much less forgiving in that it can be played over and over and critiqued on the minutest detail.
If you mean less forgiving in the context of having less time to get it right, well that is certainly true.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(15-11-2017, 07:27 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
Quote:Live mixing is less forgiving as most people are not focusing on the quality of the mix as there is usually so much going on with the visual ,feel and atmosphere compared to one of us sitting in front of monitors focusing on the sound !

Sorry for the ramble
I feel better now lol
Well Done Big Grin

As a live sound mixer, I think I need to disagree with your statement here, "Live sound is less forgiving..." My experience is that live sound is much more forgiving in the fact that it is temporal. Once played it is gone forever. You can't look back and analyze it. It is fleeting. Recorded music, on the other hand, and what we are doing here, is much less forgiving in that it can be played over and over and critiqued on the minutest detail.
If you mean less forgiving in the context of having less time to get it right, well that is certainly true.
Yes you are 100% right ,woops read my post I can see my post didn't make sense as ,I meant live is more forgiving and listening to and analysing is less forgiving thanks for correcting me I appreciate it ,I had a big day and fixed the typo Blush.

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(15-11-2017, 07:59 AM)thedon Wrote:
(15-11-2017, 07:27 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:

Sorry for the ramble
I feel better now lol
Well Done Big Grin

Yes you are 100% right ,woops read my post I can see my post didn't make sense as ,I meant live is more forgiving and listening to and analysing is less forgiving thanks for correcting me I appreciate it ,I had a big day and fixed the typo Blush.

Cheers Big Grin

I had a feeling that was a mistake. Cheers.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Listening again to your mix I find everything sounds pretty good but I am missing the mandolin finishing out the phrasing of the full melodic figure. Your guitar is solid, but I think a bit to out front in places. The rest of the drums and her vocals are excellent.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Funny you should mention that; I wasn't happy with the mandolin at all, and as a matter of fact was doing a few tweeks today in that respect.
I'll do another automation pass of the guitar as I'm finding the general level still to uneven and perhaps a bit too up-front as you correctly
point out. Tomorrow, I'll revisit the gtr 'solo' to seriously attenuate a few more of those nasty 'spikes' as they're kinda grating on me now.
Thanks for nudging me into looking again at these 'problems'.
Please consider becoming a patron of Cambridge Music Technology to help Mike keep this Awesome Educational Site Alive! -- https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts
(21-11-2017, 03:54 AM)Robert Wrote: Funny you should mention that; I wasn't happy with the mandolin at all, and as a matter of fact was doing a few tweeks today in that respect.
I'll do another automation pass of the guitar as I'm finding the general level still to uneven and perhaps a bit too up-front as you correctly
point out. Tomorrow, I'll revisit the gtr 'solo' to seriously attenuate a few more of those nasty 'spikes' as they're kinda grating on me now.
Thanks for nudging me into looking again at these 'problems'.

I look forward to listening. I just uploaded my latest pass and I am very happy with the results. I had to do some unusual things to the guitar, like a Melda Productions limiter with harmonic emphasis to get the guitar to sit, but the result was no major automation moves for the guitar just a slight boost during the solo to the out. Considering the power of the guitar, getting the mando to hold up against it is no easy task. Limiters AND compression did the trick and very little of the mando mic. Way too much leakage.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]