Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Run Run Mix
Hey Mike could you give this an ear for me and tell me what you think...thanks

.mp3    Arise - Run Run Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.26 MB)

A good balance you've got going here, and the effects are giving a nice chilled-out and threadbare quality that I really like. Could the bass perhaps have a little more level? It feels a bit pop still, somehow, rather than reggae. It also seems just a touch soft-edged, as if it's missing some of the crucial low-mid energy it needs to tickle smaller speakers. It might also be that the kick isn't really registering much at the low end on your version.

The rhythm guitar feels a bit too spiky and upfront within this context, and it feels like it needs something to blend it and push it back a bit to live with the other instruments. Maybe just some kind of modulation effect would do it, or else some kind of short delay/reverb.

This guitar part also presents a bit of a stereo problem too, because when it cuts out for the 'B' sections the mix's overall stereo image narrows quite a bit. I'd consider trying to generate a bit more stereo interest from some of the other parts to make this transition a little less jarring myself.

Thanks for posting -- hope my comments are of some help!
Thanks for the assessment, i'm going to make the necessary adjustments and upload that
Hi, I listened on budget canalphones and although the bass does sound low I thought the guitars were great.

Normally these canalphones are a bit harsh in the midrange, but as I said the guitars sounded fine to me. [EDIT - I listened again on my good monitors, and I would have to say that I agree with Mikes comment now, the guitars did sound right out in front of the mix]

Beside the bass needing to come up in level, I was wondering if it could use a little ambience too? Like a mic/cabinet impulse at 1 - 3 feet? (Don't feel obliged to try it, I will when I get around to mixing this excellent track) [EDIT - My mix has Voxengo Boogex ampsim with the 8x10 ambient miked cabinet if you want to listen]

So I will be really interested to see how your next mix sounds!
Hamish