Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amy Helm and The Handsome strangers,Rescue me, update
Here is my mix Smile

.mp3    Amy Helm and The Handsome Stangers, Rescue Me mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.92 MB)

.mp3    Amy Helm and The Handsome Stangers, Rescue Me mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.84 MB)

Hey Cudjoe,

Listening to your mix, i really like the rhythm section - bass and drums sound well balanced together and drive the song nicely. Same with vox and guitar. They both sit nicely. Good call pulling guitar to center for solo - its where it belongs imo.

Things to consider, both to do with FX

1. the mandolin seems very dry - a bit more ambience here (room verb or short delay) could help push it back behind the vocalist without it seeming wet at all......it would still sound dry but sit better imo.
2. maybe some (more) fx sweetener on lead vox in chorus through automation - the vowels could do with sounding more elastic.....the big "rescue" and "running" sound a bit tight and need opening and stretching - very subjective language i know.

In my cans maybe its sounds like a smidge more de-ess could be handy but its not that noticeable in monitors so i guess a line-ball decision.

These are all quite small little things but they could help take your mix to that next level.

good job.

Cheers, Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
Nice mix ,The room or overheads sound a touch upfront as can hear a touch too much room ambience and sizzle in the hi hats !
probably personal taste !

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(13-11-2017, 12:06 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Hey Cudjoe,

Listening to your mix, i really like the rhythm section - bass and drums sound well balanced together and drive the song nicely. Same with vox and guitar. They both sit nicely. Good call pulling guitar to center for solo - its where it belongs imo.

Things to consider, both to do with FX

1. the mandolin seems very dry - a bit more ambience here (room verb or short delay) could help push it back behind the vocalist without it seeming wet at all......it would still sound dry but sit better imo.
2. maybe some (more) fx sweetener on lead vox in chorus through automation - the vowels could do with sounding more elastic.....the big "rescue" and "running" sound a bit tight and need opening and stretching - very subjective language i know.

In my cans maybe its sounds like a smidge more de-ess could be handy but its not that noticeable in monitors so i guess a line-ball decision.

These are all quite small little things but they could help take your mix to that next level.

good job.

Cheers, Simon
Hi Simon thanks for your detailed review, I went for the more dryer mix even though I do agree about the mandolin,mix 2 soon to come.
(13-11-2017, 10:22 AM)thedon Wrote: Nice mix ,The room or overheads sound a touch upfront as can hear a touch too much room ambience and sizzle in the hi hats !
probably personal taste !

Cheers Big Grin
Hi don yes I do agree with you mix 2 soon to come.
Any comments on mix 2?
(14-11-2017, 07:15 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Any comments on mix 2?

It pops. Lots of side in the sound field which works for all but the background vocals. They got pinched when they need to add a solid background to her lead figure. Maybe pan the backgrounds more center? With the strength of the guitar it is very tough to match a poor little mando with that kind of power. Your mix is very tight which is not easy to get. Important to listen to her lyrics with this song. There is a ton of emotion in her voice in this performance. I'd mellow out your mix some to add meat below that crisp top end you obtained.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(17-11-2017, 07:00 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(14-11-2017, 07:15 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Any comments on mix 2?

It pops. Lots of side in the sound field which works for all but the background vocals. They got pinched when they need to add a solid background to her lead figure. Maybe pan the backgrounds more center? With the strength of the guitar it is very tough to match a poor little mando with that kind of power. Your mix is very tight which is not easy to get. Important to listen to her lyrics with this song. There is a ton of emotion in her voice in this performance. I'd mellow out your mix some to add meat below that crisp top end you obtained.
Thanks mixinthecloud i will look into this.
Overall, good mixes. Mix 2 is an improvement from the first the way I see it.
It's clean, it's punchy but just a bit in your face. The backing vox get lost a bit. For my taste you could possible widen the stereo field, add a bit more fx to back vox and move them further away from the lead vox.

(06-12-2017, 11:37 AM)L.Mix Wrote: Overall, good mixes. Mix 2 is an improvement from the first the way I see it.
It's clean, it's punchy but just a bit in your face. The backing vox get lost a bit. For my taste you could possible widen the stereo field, add a bit more fx to back vox and move them further away from the lead vox.
Thanks L.mix I will look into it in my next mix.