Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ja Make Ya Dance - Pass 6b "Final Polish"
Hey community,
Ja Make Ya Dance - Pass 1
11/8/2017

This song calls for all kinds of fun stuff. But before I get to that I am putting up this base mix. No special effects and little processing. Since this was printed with lots of effects there were only a few instruments to really play with, which I will hopefully get to later.

I look forward to comments and listening to other's takes on this cool flail.

Happy listening,
MITC

Ja Make Ya Dance - Pass 5
11/11/2017

So after spending a considerable amount of time on this wonderful arrangement, I concluded it was just a really cool bass line punctuated by some great rhythm parts and a sax solo tagged on at the end.

As a result I approached all melodic instruments as rhythm parts. With the tempo and content and the movement in the percussion and drums I kept that theme going with effects to enhance the bounce of the song. I know some will not like it, but keep an open mind.

I tried not to do too much 2 buss and mastering compression as I found it could not carry the depth and transient response I was looking for. For that reason I'd suggest turning it up some.

If there is anything missing it would be some tone play flitting about during the conga break. If anyone has put something together for that section I'd love to add it to my mix.

As always, everyone's valuable comments, suggestions, questions are greatly appreciated.

PS: It may be a bit bass heavy as I modified my sub position and balance a few days ago.

Ja Make Ya Dance - Pass 6
11/13/2017

That sub adjustment ended up being a bad direction so I adjusted again and tweaked the bass heavy Pass 5 to this version. Did some other tonal adjustments and cleaning of some sends. I'm pretty happy with it and it makes my butt shimmy some, which is what this song is all about.

Enjoy...

Ja Make Ya Dance - Pass 6b
11/13/2017

Added a bit more umph to the kick and aligned some top end for the added polish it needed.

Hope you like it.

.mp3    Ja Maka Ya Dance - Pass 1.mp3 --  (Download: 11 MB)

.mp3    Ja Maka Ya Dance - Pass 5.mp3 --  (Download: 11.03 MB)

.mp3    Ja Maka Ya Dance - Pass 6.mp3 --  (Download: 11.05 MB)

.mp3    Ja Maka Ya Dance - Pass 6b.mp3 --  (Download: 11.06 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi mixinthecloud really nice mix the only thing i may say is that the sax gets a little piercing (same problem i had with my mix 1)iam listening through headphones,good job.
(09-11-2017, 09:20 AM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi mixinthecloud really nice mix the only thing i may say is that the sax gets a little piercing (same problem i had with my mix 1)iam listening through headphones,good job.

I would agree with that. Listened and read your thread and understand completely. Thanks
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(09-11-2017, 05:56 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Hey community,

This song calls for all kinds of fun stuff. But before I get to that I am putting up this base mix. No special effects and little processing. Since this was printed with lots of effects there were only a few instruments to really play with, which I will hopefully get to later.

Happy listening,
MITC

11/8/2017

-----------------
MITC,

Yeah.....nice mix....cool delay effects here and there that add a lot of interest (ear candy). Balanced......enjoyed!!!!

Later......

Tom

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek

Happy listening,
MITC

11/8/2017

Oh man, I really love the drum/bass balance you’ve achieved, the bass guitar amp recording sounds rather weird to me, KUDO’s for the result in your mix!
But still a mix in progress, I gather. for the rest of the band? I’m curious to hear what recipe you'll use for the sax?
(09-11-2017, 10:55 PM)tjmtruth Wrote:

Happy listening,
MITC

11/8/2017

-----------------
MITC,

Yeah.....nice mix....cool delay effects here and there that add a lot of interest (ear candy). Balanced......enjoyed!!!!

Later......

Tom

Stay tuned, Tom. More to come on this.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(10-11-2017, 02:09 PM)sgwork Wrote:

Happy listening,
MITC

11/8/2017

Oh man, I really love the drum/bass balance you’ve achieved, the bass guitar amp recording sounds rather weird to me, KUDO’s for the result in your mix!
But still a mix in progress, I gather. for the rest of the band? I’m curious to hear what recipe you'll use for the sax?

You are spot on. Stay tuned for for future passes.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I used Nova, a dynamik eq/multiband comp to tame the sax
(11-11-2017, 08:01 PM)jakobole Wrote: I used Nova, a dynamik eq/multiband comp to tame the sax

I used the stock Presonus compressor as a decapitator on the squawk, just like a de-esser. I tried a F6 dynamic EQ, but it was more than was needed. I tend not to shoot a mouse with an elephant gun. Too messy. I think it works well in Pass 5. What do you think?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Really nice mix. That thunderous kick in the intro is awesome! Some minor tweaks I might try is roiling off a very slight amount of low end from the bass and adding some distortion to the bass in the upper mid area. Nice work.